• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
newdean0

Black Goo To Hold Door Membranes On

newdean0

Not exactly 205 related but I need to replace a polythene liner on a door, the original gooey mastic material used to retain it has gone hard and doesn't stick anymore. What do I need to buy and what works as a solvent to remove the old material? White spirit seems to work but it's slow progress.

Cheers

Dean

rapidmi

try autoglym tar and glue remover, squirt it on and leave for few mins the thry pick or scrape of its always worked for me and for a new mastic try something called tigerseal, u should be able to get it from anyautomotive place not sure if halford and that do it, just dont get it on ur hands it takes days to get off

paul205mi16

I've always removed the plastic liner completely, as I think it will make the door sweat and create condensation-Probably adding to Rust etc...

I don't know what over people have done though.

Paul.

Paintguy

Can you not just apply some new 'goo' over the top of the old stuff? If not, some cellulose thinners will do the job. Scrape as much as you can off first with a blade, then remove the remainder with thinners

paul205mi16 - It's not a good idea to remove the liner. It's there for a reason - to prevent the water that inevitably enters the door from damaging the back of the door card, or getting into the car.

Sign in to follow this