• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
skinner2k3

What To Do Next?

skinner2k3

Hi

The 205 I was intending to be solely a track day toy is now going to be put on the road so I can actually get some use out of it. I was kidding myself that I could afford regular track days!

I was going to fit a roll cage and had £600 put aside for it. But think as it will be mostly used on the road the money could be better spent elsewhere.

The spec is below, where would you guys suggest I spend the money for mostly road use with the odd track session.

Black stripped 1989 1.6 205 GTI now 1900

1600 gearbox, with Griffiths short shift kit

Sunroof removed and plated

Magnex 4-1 Manifold, Piper SS system

Recently rebuilt + -40mm ish lower 1900 disc rear beam

-40mm spax springs, standard dampers

Front upper strut brace

Std 1600 front brakes, Tarox Discs, EBC pads (not sure which they are black!)

Goodridge braided hoses all round, routed through car

AP racing brake bias valve

MI16 15 wheels, Yoko A539 tyres, stud/nut conv

Cobra clubmans and Sabelt 4 point harnesses

Just serviced the engine - new head gasket, water pump, plugs leads, oil and filter etc

Thanks in advance.

Ben

Batfink

I would recommend getting some good dampers. Something like the Bilstein Sprintline or the Group N dampers

Richie-Van-GTi

put it on 1900 hubs and shafts up front with s16 brakes, uprated dampers all round and still cage it. After that Id say 309 running gear then a bigger engine. :D

skinner2k3

I was thinking dampers. What is the Bilstein streetline stuff like? I am on a bit of a budget!

I also have a set of S16 hubs with calipers, discs and an S16 master cylinder laying about in the garage and a set of 1900 drive shafts. Not sure of the condition of the shafts, dont even remember where I got them!

The calipers dont look too clever though. Should I be able to move the pistons by hand? I think they may be seized as I cant get them to move. Maybe a soak in some oil might loosen them up.

jackherer
I was thinking dampers. What is the Bilstein streetline stuff like? I am on a bit of a budget!

They are very bad, worse than standard dampers.

skinner2k3

OK, I will forget those then.

Any other suggestions or is it just billys?

hengti
The calipers dont look too clever though. Should I be able to move the pistons by hand? I think they may be seized as I cant get them to move. Maybe a soak in some oil might loosen them up.

Unlikely you'll be able to push them in by hand - try a G-clamp or a vice (careful you don't get an eyeful of brake fluid though!).

jackherer
OK, I will forget those then.

Any other suggestions or is it just billys?

Standard 205 GTI dampers are great, you wont do better on a budget.

skinner2k3
Standard 205 GTI dampers are great, you wont do better on a budget.

Proper OE Peugeot ones?

Going to go have a look at those S16 brakes sitting in my garage. Will get them in to work tomorrow and strip them down. See if I can free them up.

jackherer
Proper OE Peugeot ones?

yes

VisaGTi16v

A 6 point cage is only ~£300 isnt it? Get some plates welded in for £50 and bolt it in yourself. Will make the car a lot stiffer not to mention safer and still leave you with some money left over

pete1986

I thought that the sprintline kit was one of the best options for a 205 :(

KRISKARRERA

He means the streetline kit, not sprintline.

But anyway I thought it was just the rears that are crap on the streetline?

skinner2k3
He means the streetline kit, not sprintline.

But anyway I thought it was just the rears that are crap on the streetline?

Auto 5 sell individual Bilstein front dampers, I wonder if they are Streetline? About £50 ea iirc. Not sure what Pug charge.

What about brands such as spax? Worth the money?

pug_ham
Auto 5 sell individual Bilstein front dampers, I wonder if they are Streetline? About £50 ea iirc. Not sure what Pug charge.

What about brands such as spax? Worth the money?

Eurocarparts used to sell the oe spec bilstein front shocks for about £40 + vat iirc & they are fine up front if not as little soft for track use but if its only an occasional track toy they are ideal. The rears, as already made clear, are worse than standard old pug ones.

Spax are generally rubbish on a Pug, even Jamex are better (but not by much). Its really worth spending a lttle bit extra for some Billies or Koni (red's or yellow). I've driven a Pug with Spax shocks & springs & it crashed all over the place. The kit was less than 1k old as well.:(

Graham.

Sign in to follow this