• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
stufarri

Car Feels Like Its Wandering At 40+ On Gentle Bends

stufarri

Hi, been trying to search for a solution but no luck.

The rear wheels seem to sit square with no-one on board and the car handles fine in fast tight bends.

Nearly cacked myself a few weeks ago as it seemed to be on stilts when I moved the wheel from side to side at 40. I don't normally do this but 5 mins before the car felt very vague on long bends. It's a totally standard 93K 1.9 and the rear beam looks fine and has plenty of travel.

Any suggestions?

Thanks Stu

j_turnell

I'd take a look at the condition of your track rod ends and check for play in the rack, also when was your tracking last checked?

steve@cornwall
Hi, been trying to search for a solution but no luck.

The rear wheels seem to sit square with no-one on board and the car handles fine in fast tight bends.

Nearly cacked myself a few weeks ago as it seemed to be on stilts when I moved the wheel from side to side at 40. I don't normally do this but 5 mins before the car felt very vague on long bends. It's a totally standard 93K 1.9 and the rear beam looks fine and has plenty of travel.

Any suggestions?

Thanks Stu

Does it have PAS?

GTI6BOY

I have got pas, and they same problem?

tell me, tell me

stufarri
Does it have PAS?

Yes it does have PAS and my tracking has not been checked for a while. Only started doing this after I let my brother drive it and said to him, 'don't cane it it's 14yrs old and its my pride and joy' 20 mins later I could smell the hot oil and he was raving about the handling, tosspot.

steve@cornwall
Yes it does have PAS and my tracking has not been checked for a while. Only started doing this after I let my brother drive it and said to him, 'don't cane it it's 14yrs old and its my pride and joy' 20 mins later I could smell the hot oil and he was raving about the handling, tosspot.

It's why I don't like pas! every pas car I've driven feels like it's cornering on a road made of jelly :P

Try a short drive with the belt off and see what you think?

GTI6BOY

Can you just take the belt off? and will that make it like a 205 without pas, or is there more to it than that?

Jrod

You can take it off but it willbe heavy and fail an MOT.

If you like it without pas then remove the ram, pipework, pump etc.

steve@cornwall
Can you just take the belt off? and will that make it like a 205 without pas, or is there more to it than that?

Just to see if the problem goes away- remember you'll have no alternator either- hence the shorty journey

fletch

Wishbone bushes?

maturin23

I was going to say wishbone bushes - just replaced mine and that sense of 'wandering' has gone completely. If your brother was giving it the beans then it may have finished them off.

The PAS on 205s is fairly weak, the assistance just about compensates for the quicker rack in my experience. Not really worth the hassle of removing it.

Sign in to follow this