• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
foreigner

Shocks And Springs For My Diesel Gti.

foreigner

As some of you know I half succesfully fitted 1.9 td in 205.

Problem I got is my suspension. I think it's bit tired.

I was looking through some dealer and front shocks are sometimes the same for GTI and TD.

I din't want to spend a lot of money on this. tight budget. Just want good hard suspension.

I know that some people don't like lowering but I would still want to do that.

How low can I go without changing handling?

I can see it coming when you say stick with originals.

TaylorsTDGTI

Hi Matey

Did you have any success in lowering your Diesel? Im also trying to find a OE/almost factory way to lower the front 20-30mm on my TD without compromising ride quality.

The Diesel setup options are often put in the Gti section due to the desirable STDT having the Gti setup. If your like me with a non STDT TD, it seems to be a guessing game.

Incase you have not got any further with this, ive heard using the Gti standard spring lowerers a total of 35mm (25mm difference in factory ride height, then 10mm more due to our engine weight) Not sure if thats correct, but maybe worth a go.

James.

Super Josh

James, does your diesel set up have a front anti-roll bar? And how soft is the suspension at the moment?

Josh

pug_ham
James, does your diesel set up have a front anti-roll bar? And how soft is the suspension at the moment?

Josh

It'll have an anti roll bar but on base model suspension (such as fitted to non STDT 205 TD's) it forms part of the lower wishbone.

Try some 205 GTi springs, I had them on my old 205 diesel & they lowered the front by approx 25mm but I've got 309 GTi springs on my STDT which dropped it about 10mm further but with group N top mount rubbers its still oly lowered about 30-35mm.

Some picture of it as it is now in this topic.

Graham.

dirtdog

how do those 309 gti springs feel? i have some gaz adjustable dampers to go on soon and i'm lacking springs. am i wrong in thinking that the 309gti springs will be a little..soft? i am using 15" wheels ATM and it's sitting rather high...a bit like a tractor(it sounds like one too which don't help.lol)

i don't want it lower than a turtles todger but it's got to go lower than what it is currently!

205lr3.th.jpg

pug_ham
how do those 309 gti springs feel? i have some gaz adjustable dampers to go on soon and i'm lacking springs. am i wrong in thinking that the 309gti springs will be a little..soft?

They are very slightly stiffer than th 205 GTi ones afaik.

The spring rate was worked outin a post ages ago but I think its been lost since.

Fine for the road which is all my STDT is used for anyway.

Graham.

Sign in to follow this