• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Nathan

Alarms And Alarm Fitters

Nathan

Before I start modifying my 205 any further (and for insurance reasons) I'd like to improve the security a bit.

How much is a reasonable system? And what do people recommend?

Now I know an alarm is only going to be as good as the person that fits it, so can anyone recommend anywhere in the high peak area where I could get one fitted.

Cheers

M@tt

Alarms really aren't that difficult to fit yourself just need to follow the wiring diagrams.

The toad ai606 is a great alarm with many features and you can get it for £100. Your going to be looking at atleast another £100-£150 for someone to fit it.

There are several posts about fititng these or you may even find someone who cn give you a hand. It'll probably take you a good day to fit it properly. TBH most alarm companies employ monkeys who don't take care of your car when fitting them so i'd certainly have a crack at fitting it yourself.

Edited by M@tt

GTI6BOY

he wants an alarm for insurance reasons, therefore it will have to be fitted by a professional thatcham cat 1 fitter.

people dont really like clifford but i have a 650 and it was fitted by them themselves and they come out to you, and i paid £350 and have had no issues with it to date?

M@tt

i fitted my ai606 myself and got a local alarm fitters to inspect the installation made sure all the features worked and stamp my certificate. Cost me £20, job done

Edited by M@tt

Nathan

My car currently has a basic imoboliser, but my insurance company won't accept it (even though I have the receipt saying its been fitted to/has thatcham approval).

pacey205

M@tt, where abouts can you pick the Ai606's from for that price. Are you looking on ebay or from a supplier ?

Michael

M@tt

I got my from a guy off here, alarmbod i think he was called £95 delivered, he or someone he is friends with works or worked for Toad i think and can get them.

i've still got his email i think so if some one wants it PM and i'll send it to you

Cheers

Matt

Nathan

Cheers for the info/offer Matt, just tried to PM you but your inbox is ful.

M@tt

box emptied now :unsure:

pacey205

Just got a reply from alarmbod and he says that unfortunately he cant get hold of them anymore. However there are a few on eBay that are new sealed items that sem to go for around the £100 mark.

Michael

kyepan

A decent self employed fitter will be miles better than a garage type fitter in my experience. And a well fitted alarm (especially clifford) can be the difference between no problems, and constant false alarms / problems one or two years down the line.

for example, a local fitter that is no longer in business fitted a clifford concept 300 to the pulsar, within 2 years it had to stay in vallet mode, as the bonnet sensor was duff, the position of the siren had led to water ingress, corrosion and failure of the alarm / battery unit.. the actual brain of the alarm was in the glove box, and the microwave sensor was set wrong, so it went off if a gnat farted nearby.

the self employed dude who came round , laughed, asked who fitted it, laughed again, then proceeded to tell me he got most of his buisness from their shoddy work. He replaced the brain, set it up with the alarm style i wanted, moved the siren unit, sealed it, moved the brain, sorted the microwave sensor, showed me how to adjust the sensitivity.. etc etc..

personal service you just don't get from one of those main dealer type fitters.

I had him back to fit an alarm on the pug, same level of service, same results. I would recommend him but he's a bit far from you.

Sign in to follow this