• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Rob_the_Sparky

Gti Stuff On A Base Model (diesel) Body Shell

Rob_the_Sparky

I'm pondering on a sleeper project and wondering where the problem areas will be with fitting GTi stuff to a base model shell.

AFAIK the engine mounts are the same and I guess fuel and brake systems won't cause any major problems. Similar with the dash and wiring, I'd guess quite a bit of work but no show stoppers.

What about suspension... I know the rear archs are different but can you fit GTi suspension without it fouling? Same for the front... To be true sleeper (and so I don't have to worry about bodywork) I'd like to not modify the bodywork.

Maybe use 1.6 bits, 14" wheels are cheap and plentiful and I bet 1.6 bits are going to be cheaper but isn't the track wider on a 1.6?

Rob

Anthony

Only major hassle of note that I'm aware of is the brake pipe hanger things in the front arches need moving if you use GTi style front suspension as it fouls the droplink otherwise, but otherwise it's fairly straight forward bolt-off, bolt-on.

On the front, keep the existing driveshafts (1.6 items on diesels) and hubs (base model) which will fit fine width wise, and chuck on 1.9 disks and calipers to take care of the braking side of things.

You're limited on the rear arches as to what wheels/tyres fit without scrubbing, but with 14's that won't be an issue. Beam is a straight swap with no mods required.

205turbo

205_DTurbo_1.jpg

DTROU, car above was a base model shell, i'm sure he could enlighten you as to whats required

Dom9

Bally's was a base model shell, was it not?

foreigner

Someone told me that rear beam on D and TD is the same as 1.6 GTi.

Is this correct ?

Hilgie

I wouldn't be surprised if it is on the TD tbh. That's almost a 1.6GTi anyway.

sutol
I wouldn't be surprised if it is on the TD tbh. That's almost a 1.6GTi anyway.

Is there any way of telling which one is which as I've just removed the rear beam from a 1.8 turbo 205 and I would like to know as well. :ph34r:

205turbo

use a spanner to see how thick the bars are

and pop the arb out and do the same

Ahl

You'd measure the diameter of the ARB and the torsion bars I would think, then compare them.

Also, I didn't think the D even came with a rear ARB?

Rob_the_Sparky

Agreed, base models didn't get a rear ARB - it shows as well when you have some weight at the back!

justinv

hi

atm i am upgrading a base model to a gti the only prob i found is cutting the rear mudguards as i dont think you would possibly fit 15" wheels if you lower it then right ?

DTORU
205_DTurbo_1.jpg

DTROU, car above was a base model shell, i'm sure he could enlighten you as to whats required

The conversion was easy exept for the arches front and rear, the front require i slight trim but the rear require qbout 4" out of them and then you have to weld a strip of metal between the inner and outer arches to fill a 1.5" gap left after cutting. I used a jigsaw with a high speed metal cutting blade and masking tape on the pannel to outline where needed to be cut. In the end i used body pannel glue to glue the metal strip in place to save the welding wrecking the paint work on the wings. Peugeot use the same glue to glue 50% of the car togeather from factory so its good stuff and very stong and has a lifetime warrenty. I was quoted £400 as side to get the rear quaters and inner wing changed to GTI Specs Ones.

I used a 1.6 GTI beam as the D / TD ones are to soft. You can run speedline 15" but unless you run a 195/45/15 profile will rub at the back slightly when driven hard or a full car of people is present.

Ive gone 30mm lower on the back and run 15" s and with the 195/45/15 profile i can tow a caravan / trailer and the backs fine not rubbing at all.

Use the left over body glue to fix on all the GTI trim but make sure its in the right place as its hell the get off and onces it set impossible to remove.

If you want to run 14" 1.6 GTI wheels you can get an aftermarket GTI kit that just glues on to the car no mods required.

Thanks

DTORU

Edited by DTORU

Anthony
Someone told me that rear beam on D and TD is the same as 1.6 GTi.

Nope - the TD ones I've seen are similar to XS, and the diesel ones are standard base model affairs.

cybernck
Bally's was a base model shell, was it not?

yeah, an old ugly diesel - now one of the best 205's ever! :rolleyes::lol:

are the rear INNER arches the same as on a GTI though?

Hilgie

they are different as well

hman205

i have a full gti front subframe with a pair of good bottom arms and steering rack For free if you come get it from Bristol

edthedrummer

I too own a 1.8 dturbo 205, and i was wondering about stuff such as this.

at the moment i am running on the standard 13" steelies, but are the 1.6gti 14" a straight swap? i won't be presented with any rub issue's if i swap them?

and what about suspension bushes, companies like powerflex sell aftermarket kits for gti versions, but not mine obviously. Would these fit straight on or are the suspension parts different?

Any fore warnings about what not to do would be greatly recieved.

Ed.

DaveW

Yep 1.6 wheels fit stright on no rubbing either, only the 1.9 wheels rub and anything bigger than 15's really. I would just buy new wishbones dont bother with the poly bushes just seems a waste of time on a TD!

edthedrummer

aye, the polybushes would be expensive anyway.

thanks for clearing the wheels part up.

edthedrummer

Can i just ask, was the 205 dturbo ever issued with girling calipers? I've just been browsing on Demon Tweeks, and under brake pads, Red Dot do a fast road kit for the 205 td, for girling calipers. I'm not after pads, i was merely looking what was available.

But i was under the impression the 205 used the same calipers as the 1.6gti, which were bendix? Although the 1.6gti uses vented discs as apposed to the dturbo's solid ones.

any body?

Sign in to follow this