• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
funkymofo

Gti-6 Conversion - Ecu Question

funkymofo

Simple question -

When doing a gti6 conversion into a 1.9, do I need to keep the 1.9 ecu in working order?

Reason I ask is because I am stuck removing my ECU so if I can simply cut it out that would be easier than removing the dash/dropping the steering column!

Thanks.

Mikey G

You dont need it for anything so remove it. Why is it stuck?

If your on about the wiring loom and you dont need it for anything just cut it and pull it through :lol:

funkymofo

Sorry yes I meant the wiring loom connector that goes into the back of the ecu. There isnt enough clearance to pull the connector out once its unplugged without removing the dash so I was thinking of just cutting the loom and yanking it out.

So to confirm I don't need the 1.9 ecu to be plugged into the loom for the conversion to work?

Mikey G

No you dont need the 1.9 loom to be working.

You will need the 2 plugs and some of the wires from them that connect the ECU loom to the main loom of the car up on the left hand side of the drivers foot well.

funkymofo

many thanks!

I'd already disconnected the 2 plugs, just couldnt get the blasted ECU plug out.

*runs off grinning with wire cutters in hand* :lol:

GTI6BOY

if your not gonna remove the ecu and cant take the plug off then just leave it pluged in?

Dont cut it out as 1 day someone might want to put it back?

funkymofo

But I need to get the loom out of the car to do the wiring - I'll probably just sell the ECU on anyway as I wont be needing it. In the unlikely event that I do then I'll just buy another one.

All done now anyway, was a ridiculously tight squeeze! Had to pull the wires through pretty much one at a time to get them out.

jim205GTI

I cut mine and removed it when i put my mi in......... the mi ecu sits just nice there........

As far as i see i think i will be the last owner of this pug :D

pug_ham

You don't need to fully remove the dash to get the plug out, its only a couple of nut / bolts & it moves enough to get the loom out easily.

Graham.

Sign in to follow this