• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Super Josh

Mi16 Auxiliary Belt Tensioner

Super Josh

The Auxiliary belt tensioner had become noisy on my Mi. It's item 'B' in the following Piccy

Mi16AuxBelt.jpg

Pug want a small fortune for it (Surprise, Surprise :) ). I've tried the usual GSF, ECP and NEAT to no avail. Can anyone think of any other suppliers that I might try for the tensioner? At least this one is metal, unlike the plastic ones on the XU10s :lol:

Josh

welshpug

is the bearing replaceable?

Super Josh
is the bearing replaceable?

Unfortunately not :lol: Mine is the earlier type where the bearing in stacked on. The later ones have a nut holding on the pulley.

Josh

Miles

I don't think anyone supplies them anymore, Have to change to the later type with sprung tensioner as used on the S16's etc

DrSarty

Idea: use shorter belt and miss it out, applying belt tension via alternator?

Rich

Ryan

If you swap to using the other type of roller than bolts onto the bottom of the alternator bracket, and fit a longer belt then you can use a saab tensioner (usually a few on ebay), or possibly a spare timing belt tensioner - at least as a stop-gap.

inferno

ive got a spare tensioner when ashley peddle brings it back! assuming its the same as the 8v aircon model... pm me if you need it still.

Ryan

Same, according to the parts disc.

KRISKARRERA

Yeah the later 1.9 Mi16s used a pulley which was attached to the block with the alternator tension thingys bracket, a much better design.

Super Josh
Idea: use shorter belt and miss it out, applying belt tension via alternator?

Rich

Rich, I like your lateral thinking :D Unfortunately, the tensioner has a square hole in it to allow the use of a torque wrench and to set the tension accurately. Something that is required with the AC Compressor :D

Josh

Super Josh
ive got a spare tensioner when ashley peddle brings it back! assuming its the same as the 8v aircon model... pm me if you need it still.

Cheers for the offer Tom :D But as tensioners are service items, I would rather replace with new. Saves spending on a secondhand part only for it to go in 6 months time, in the rain, in the middle of Nowhere, on a Sunday night :D

I managed to source a Quinton Hazell part locally for 40 quid :D

Josh

KRISKARRERA
Rich, I like your lateral thinking :D Unfortunately, the tensioner has a square hole in it to allow the use of a torque wrench and to set the tension accurately. Something that is required with the AC Compressor :D

Josh

Only required on engines where the alternator runs off of a separate belt to aircon belt. With ours you can just adjust the alternator pulley's adjustment.

Sign in to follow this