• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
JeffR

Valve Spring Compressors

JeffR

Can someone recommend a good valve spring compressor which works with these heads?

Thanks

Jeff

pug_life

i got the more expensive version from halfords, fits better than my cheap version, but still not keen on its flexibility during compression of spring...

I "think" machine mart do a good set, but theres a place that does a very well priced one, name escapes me though.

petert

I made my own. That way it fits EXACTLY and doesn't damage the lifter bore.

JeffR

Pug Life, I had a look at the 2 on offer through Halfords. They may be able to do the job, but I've seen a version which uses a tilt table to allow the compressor to sit perpendicular above the valve, and might be a better option.

Exactly Peter, it's the lifter bore I'm striving to protect from scoring!

Jeff

Mikey G

Ive used my Draper one for years, its a bit twisted now and you have to be carefull.

When using it in an Mi i tend to not try to clamp the spring down in one go but will wind the adjusters in gradualy making sure it doesnt slip, the same when removing it so i dont get any sudden jolts that could damage the bores.

PumaRacing

I made an aluminium extension for my compressor to allow it to do 16v and other deep reach heads so I have no idea what current models are suitable. However, whatever you do buy I suggest going over the nose piece with a fine file and then an oilstone or emery cloth to remove any burrs and to radius all leading edges into nice smooth curves. That way you won't scratch a lifter bore even if you do touch the side of one.

If you have a dremel or a fast drill and a little flap wheel you can even polish the nose until it's as shiny as a shiny thing and then it can't possibly dig in to aluminium.

Edited by PumaRacing

petert

I have a nylon collar on the outside of mine which centres the tube in the bore and prevents metal/metal contact. It only suits 32mm bores (or larger).

Richie-Van-GTi

Ive just wrapped the end of mydraper one with electricians tape, should stop it digging in the bores in the event of a slip.

Sign in to follow this