• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Mikey G

Xu7 16v

Mikey G

Just straying off the norm, bigger isnt always better (or so ive heard ;) )

So far i have sussed this engine seems to be a hybrid of the 2 litre 135 bhp motor (XU10J4R?), but with possibly an alloy block and different crank. I assume its alloy block as the bore is 83mm the same as the 1.6/1.9 engines but with a crank stroke in between that of the 1.6/1.9 of around 81mm.

Anybody tuned one?

Sandy

The standard XU7J4 is a bit of an odd ball. It has 81.4mm stroke and 83mm bore (1761cc), the same size rods as the 1.6 8v (150.5 long, 45mm big ends, 20mm interference fit gudgeon pin). The pistons are short with a waisted skirt like race pistons and the stroke means that piston speed at 8000 is about the same as a 1.9 at 7250, the longer rod reduces piston acceleration at the top of the stroke as well, meaning lower rod bolt stress.

It has the same valve sizes as XU10J4 and XU9J4, but the inlet ports are cast deliberately small. This restricts the standard engine, but lends itself well to more creative porting than the Mi16 allows.

You can fit GTi cams straight in and the GTi6 4-1 exhaust manifold also bolts straight on.

I ran one of these with the GTi6 cams/exhaust and 45mm TB's in my old Goodwood and it was a fabulous engine. Peak was a little strangled because I hadn't ported it, but the rest of the time it was lively, responsive and felt light in a way the Mi16 doesn't! Certainly felt torquey too, although I never figured it. The noise was much more interesting than an Mi16 on TB's IMO.

Short video here: http://noboost.com/temp/sandy/GoodyXU7J4.wmv

I weighed it back to back with the 1.9 8v and it was within 5kg.

Mark Shillaber built a hillclimb one a few years back that made about 230bhp IIRC.

welshpug

and a silly little fact I found while checking cambelt kit part numbers its that it uses the same one as the XU10J4R and RS, not all of them but most of.

Emmy Seize

The 307 WRC used the engine with 85mm bore, raising the displacement to 1997 ccm.

Sandy

Yep, and the one I had in the Goodwood was the one an engineering firm were sent by Peugeot to make the bell housing from, how's that for heritage!

• Like 1

pug_life

whats the XU7J4 out of? 206/307????

Emmy Seize
whats the XU7J4 out of? 206/307????

306, 406, Xantia and Xsara

Mikey G

So all good then!

I think the smaller motor lends itself to become a much revvier engine if tuned correctly then.

Is it just a size thing that this engine isnt used more in 205's then? People are thinking that for the sake of a few extra quid you can buy a 1.9 or 2 litre motor and get the power cheaper i suppose.

I'm just a fan of small revvy motors :D

KRISKARRERA

Some of you might remember when I had my 309 Mi16. I followed a mate accross country lanes in Devon and he was driving a 406 with the above mentioned engine and I was shocked at how well it went.

That said, he was 11 stone and on his own whereas I was 16 stone in the 309 with my bro (again 16 stone) and a rather tired engine. I beat him in the end but I reckon one of those in a 205 would go well despite having s*ite bhp on paper.

Sandy

Peugeot went to alot of trouble to cap its power I reckon. The inlet ports are cast deliberately small and crap as I said, the cams are very mild, the throttle body is small and a crap design, the list goes on! But lose those bits and it's a winner. Even with them, the mid range is impressive.

welshpug

surely this must be the way forward if people want lighter weight 16v engines? plenty of them about too!

Mikey G
surely this must be the way forward if people want lighter weight 16v engines? plenty of them about too!

My thoughts exactly, there are loads about and i stumbled across one some time ago in a scrappy in Cardiff.

So GTi-6 manifolds etc will fit? will the GTi-6 head fit the bottom end for that matter?

Maybe something could be done with the 1.6 crank and different pistons to get an XU5J4? rather than a special 1.6 Mi16 setup?

Henry 1.9GTi

is this a 306 XSi engine? or is that XU10?

What models did this engine appear in. XSi etc...

Thanks.

Henry.

pug_ham
is this a 306 XSi engine? or is that XU10?

The 306 XSi either had the 8v XU10J2 engine fitted or later the 16v XU10J4R/L3.

This engine was fitted to the lower spec 1.8 16v models & not any sporty ones.

I keep seeing these engines in 406's in my local scrapyard but they all seem to have a rod shaped hole on #3 cylinder. :(

Graham.

Sandy

I've not seen a broken one yet (fingers crossed), although there was a recall early on for some of them to have the liner replaced apparently.

I've fitted a GTi6 head to one, but AFAIK it hasn't been run yet. It bolted straight on. The GTi6 manifolds bolt straight on the XU7J4.

pug_ham
I've not seen a broken one yet (fingers crossed), although there was a recall early on for some of them to have the liner replaced apparently.
I'll have a closer look at one of the engine's I've seen in a 406, I might be wrong but I thought it was an Xu7 as it was an alloy block & none of the later engines fitted were.

Graham.

Sandy
I'll have a closer look at one of the engine's I've seen in a 406, I might be wrong but I thought it was an Xu7 as it was an alloy block & none of the later engines fitted were.

Graham.

If it is an XU, then alloy block will be 1.8, but the EW's (which have much slimmer rods and alloy blocks) i'd agree appear to be fragile.

Higgy

Just reading my 405 owners manual here, i have the 1.8 8V - XU7JP/Z

1761cc, Bore & stroke = 80 x 81.4mm

Only 99 BHP giving 90BHP/Ton :-(

Miles

I stripped one of these today,

Funny old engine and the cranks fully counter-balanced (Odd for such a low power engine) and the rod's have a hole in to allow a squirt of oil under the piston, This is the basis of the WRC engine found in the old 206 and 307 I think.

Grim.Badger

The scrapyards around here are absolutely packed with them, there are almost no other Pug engines available. The scrapyards can't tell the difference between them and the S16 though which has meant they have crushed a low milage S16 a couple of months ago because they had too many 16v pugs :)

If I had the money I'd be tempted to get one, especially as I came across an intact GTi6 on Saturday in West Yorkshire that I could have taken the head off.

Are any of the bottom end parts exchangable with the 8v engines?

Sandy
Are any of the bottom end parts exchangable with the 8v engines?

Liners possibly, sump pan (nicer alloy trap door design), oil pump. Rods are the same dimensions as 1.6 8v, crank could be used to stroke a 1.6.

Oh and the flywheel is a usefully lighter alternative to the Mi16 one, with a 200mm clutch and timing teeth.

Edited by sandy309

welshpug

are there any 85mm liners available?

as this is the size Peugeot used to build their 1997cc WRC engines..

Miles

Yes 85 & 86mm liners are available but need custom fitting into the block,

The liner's are fine to use

KRISKARRERA

Surprising that it's not got an Mi sized clutch really.

Miles

But why with so little power

Sign in to follow this