• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest martyn_mcg

Xs Issues!

Guest martyn_mcg

Hi this is my first post and unfortunatly its a tech help question! i have an xs with the later solex carb engine, i have spent a lot of time making it look nice since i got it however there is now oil in the water and appears to be oil coming up the breather pipe into the inlet, so i assume the head gaskets gone. its being a devil to start and now im getting a slight whurring noise from the front of the car which i have put down to gearbox or driveshaft(s) or even no oil in the gearbox.

obviously this could be quite pricey to fix, also it seems a bit down on power and well i fancy maybe something with a bit more power anyway.

so my question is how hard would a 106 gti engine/vts engine transplant be concidering there all tu series (electronic injection i belive makes it hard i belive?). or does anybody know any other engines that are simple to transplant. or should i repair my current engine and add some performance parts to it?

also my car appears to have the 1.9gti callipers on it, even though the rest of the car is standard, does this seems unusual to anybody? i cant understand why there there....

regards, martyn (apologies for my first post being full of questions!)

johnnyboy666

the oil coming up the breather pipe is normal (well its the same on the last three 205s ive had -gt,xs and roland garros) if the headgasket is gone you can get the kits quite cheap on ebay and you could do it yourself perhaps?

could the whurring be the clutch thrust bearing?

Guest martyn_mcg

i thought oil going up the breather was back pressure? surley it wud drip down into your carb and you would be burning oil?

swordfish210

I cant imagine the a 106 GTI engine would be too hard to swap in to an XS but while you're at it i would swap the suspension over for a complete 1.9 GTI unit (subframe and everything) I have see the 106 conversion done before and the only really trying bit was the loom. yes the 1.9 calipers does seem unusual does the pedal have a lot of travel as the 1.9 calipers are desinged for vented discs whereas the XS has solid discs

Guest martyn_mcg

Hi, no its got the gti disks to, just seems an odd mod for an otherwise standard car

pugrallye

prob previous owner got annoyed with poo brakes, as they share the same offset discs, head gasket sets are about 30 quid so not a major expense and if you are keen with the spanners have a head gasket changed in 4 hours (assuming head bolts are okay to reuse)

Casanova

I've read that the 16v TU engines don't drop straight in as there isn't room for an exhaust manifold without extra work. Personally, a revvy 8v 1360 TU is more fun than that anyway - they can be tuned quite a bit. The fun of the engine is as much in its frenzied zips up the rev range through the short gears as much as outright power.

§

Guest martyn_mcg

Cheers for the replys guys, so whats a nice way to get a bit more power out of an xs then, diffirent cylnder head? new cam? i read about thoes group buy manifolds, they any good on standard engines? i dont want to spend much money, and i dont fancy digging the bottom end out of the car for new pistons or anything if a new head needs it?

can anybody else confirm its normal for oil to go up the breather into the plastic air box thing above the carb, because it seems really odd and worrying to me!

Regards, Martyn

bren_1.3

oil vapour goes into the airbox from the breather, if your getting a lot of liquid oil coming out and its going back down the inlets and blowing blue smoke out the exhaust then theres something wrong.

power = money. so if you dont want to spend much money dont expect much power. get it rebuilt and enjoy the thing.

johnnyboy666

the oil coming up the breather could just be built up vapour from the last 16 or so years, id say take the airbox off, give it a clean inside and get a new bit of breather pipe then it will be easier to tell if you get more oil in there after that

Guest martyn_mcg

hi, yeah it had a new oil breather pipe about 6 months ago and thats got a good coating of oil on it, i will probably stick to getting the standard engine running well from what i have read in the feedback, however with the head gasket looking like its gone and a strange whurring noise i fear it could cost more than i anticipated and i do not have the greatest faith in my local garages from previous work carried out. :S dont really want to get rid of the car tho!

Guest cabrowly

Is it just hard to start when its been running for a while and have you actually noticed a lack of power, over heating or if its using more oil? If the only thing your going on is a bit of oily sludge in the breather pipe then i wouldn't worry about it.

Guest martyn_mcg

the water certainly looks oily, however there is no condensation gathering on the inside of the oil filler cap so dosent appear to be water in the oil, iv not had time to flush the water and put fresh water in to see if oil is still gettin in, or if it was from something that happened in its past.

with regards to starting it always needs a lot of choke, and it will turn over for quite a while and then its missfiring on one or two cylnders and generally poor untill its warmed up a bit. when starting from warm it again turns over for ages and you have to have the accelerator flat to the floor

Guest martyn_mcg

almost forgot, iv changed the obvious things, leads dizzy cap and arm, plugs and battery

trogboy

They are always difficult to start from hot as the carb and inlet manifold heats up a lot due to heat soak from the engine.

Oily breather pipes are standard unfortunately. There will always be a small degree of blowby on the rings which is one of the main reasons that you have a breather pipe to stop the crank case pressurising. The atmosphere around the crank case and the valve gear will always be full of oil vapour due to the movements of the parts inside and this gets drawn through the breather hose as it is under partial vacuum from the inlet system.

Regarding the oil in the coolant. Have you tried changing the coolant, flushing the system and then refilling and running it for a few days to see if the problems return. I bought my first rallye with a suspected HG failure only to find some plank had added a little oil to the coolant instead of the the engine! Similarly I stupidly re-used a colant hose from a car which had had a HG failure without cleaning it thoroughly only to introduce oil into my coolant - lesson learnt there it think.

If you still think that soemthing is wrong you could get a compression test done or posssibly a leak down test which gives a bit more and different information. I would recommend buying a compression tester anyway as they are pretty cheap and are a very useful tool for spotting a problem early.

Thats my two penneth worth anyway

RossD
he talks for about 12 pages and doesnt spend a penny.

Is this a dig at me here? You might wanna get your facts right before saying something like that if it is :D

Edited by RossD

Sign in to follow this