• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Sy_

205 Gti Fuel Pumps - Are There 2 Types?

Sy_

As the title says really - I need to know what fuel pump I need for a K plate with CAT.

There's only one type listed on the GSF website so can anyone enlighten me?

Cheers,

Sy

Batfink

well my 86 model and 91 models had different connectors to the fuellines but otherwise looked the same

pug_ham

Looking at the parts cd they all take the same pump. Pug part number 1455 09.

Graham.

Miles

The pump's the same but the later car's have a Fuel Injector type plug fitted instead of the remote 2 pin plug found on most 205's pre 91 ish,

Richie-Van-GTi

Ive got a spare late type one which is known good working order if you need one.

VisaGTi16v

Is the pump actually in the tank on a 205? I think my Visa one is playing up but only the sender is in the tank, the pump itself sits in this rubber thing bolted under the car just in front and to the right of the tank. Tank is under the boot on the Visa. I guess a pump is a pump and if I needed a new one I could probably fit just about anything into this flexible housing as it only has 12v and earth as long as I get one for a reasonably big engined car but I think they all have loads of capacity spare?

ALEX

AFAIK there are 2 different designs.

The older one has a black plastic housing and is found in phase 1 and 1.5 modles.

The later design has a white (or stained yellow/orange) plastic casing found in later phase 2 modles.

I bought a replacement bosh pump to fit inside the later design casing fitted to my phase 2 from Andrew Page's.

It turned out to be faulty and they couldn't get me another any time soon.

So I tried the breakers and I bought the older design (black one) pump and casing from a phase 1.5 which I was told by Peugeot works in the phase 2.

IMO the older design is better than the new white one as mine had gone all yellow and brittle.

The black ones seem to be made from thicker and better type of plastic.

The pumps inside the erlier (black) casings though are smaller than the later (white) designs so I don't know if that effects the pressure in anyway? But Mines has been fine and I didn't notice any performance drop.

To answer your question though there are 2 designs. GSF should know if you ask them if it's for the erlier modlel or not.

Edited by ALEX

welshpug
Is the pump actually in the tank on a 205? I think my Visa one is playing up but only the sender is in the tank, the pump itself sits in this rubber thing bolted under the car just in front and to the right of the tank. Tank is under the boot on the Visa. I guess a pump is a pump and if I needed a new one I could probably fit just about anything into this flexible housing as it only has 12v and earth as long as I get one for a reasonably big engined car but I think they all have loads of capacity spare?

your visa sounds like what the 405 uses.

VisaGTi16v

Interesting ta, I will take a photo tomorrow and post in a new thread to stop hijacking heh. Just curious about whether its similar to other PSA ones

Sy_

Thanks for the replies, I've got mine out (K plate '93 1.9 GTi) and she looks like this (steel collar removed, obviously):

20070423205fuelpump00xa1.jpg

So anyone know if there are any physical differences between the two, except for the wiring connection?

The codes don't seem to tie up with what you've found on the parts CD Graham, so I wonder if that was maintained right up until '93?

Cheers,

Sy

Richie-Van-GTi

Sy thats exactly the same as my spare, Ive also got internals from the earlier one in good working order as well, I nicked the casing from it though for the pickup on the carb pump :o

Internals are totally different between the 2 yes, however flow and pressure is the same.

ALEX

If you end up fitting the older design (black pump) the wiring connector is different, I had to dig out the gel like stuff in the connector recess on the pump to replace the wires that were coming out of it.

There are two standard male spade connectors in there if you are having troubble connecting it up.

Just replace the gel (vapour seal) with mastic / Silicone.

Sy_

Cheers for the replies, Rich you have PM

VisaGTi16v

This is my Visa one on the left, filter on the right, does it look like anything from another PSA car? Can probably fit a variety in the housing

post-8685-1177519536.jpg

post-8685-1177519546.jpg

Richie-Van-GTi

Visa, fords use a pump pretty much identical to that one, I had one for pumping out tanks but it went missing at my old unit.

VisaGTi16v

Thanks for the info. I think mine is ok but will keep a look out on ebay anyway. May be an idea to get a newer one thats for a bigger engine which will be under less stress than mine. Afterall it was for a 115bhp car thats now near 170 but I think they can chuck out a lot more going by search results. Made me think that the filter was on it when I got the car 6 years ago though so I will be replacing that!

petert

It's interesting that I glanced over this thread the other day and didn't pay attention! I tried to fit a late pump today to an early fuel tank today. And guess what? It doesn't fit. The tank (or the surge tray) is 5mm deeper in the later tanks to accomodate the late model pump. The late and early tanks look indentical, but a ruler reveals the true story. It would be no problem fitting an early pump to a later tank. So tomorrow I'm going to make spacer to step the pump up 5mm higher!

Visa, you should get a pressure pump from an Mi16 or BX16V. Cheap as chips and externally mounted. They also have a primer pump in the tank.

Edited by petert

VisaGTi16v

Ta. I had a look like night and there are tons of similar Bosch ones that should fit. I think my fuel level thing is the same as a 205. Should have taken the pump off my donor bx years ago :huh:

edit: Yep GSF list the visa and bx petrol injection pumps as the same :D

Edited by VisaGTi16v

Guest pugpowa

just spotted this topic, was gonna be replacing the pump in my 87 gti today with the one from my 92mi, but looks like it aint gonna fit! just a thought, could i use the extra metal ring that it bolts through as a spacer?

ALEX
It's interesting that I glanced over this thread the other day and didn't pay attention! I tried to fit a late pump today to an early fuel tank today. And guess what? It doesn't fit. The tank (or the surge tray) is 5mm deeper in the later tanks to accomodate the late model pump. The late and early tanks look indentical, but a ruler reveals the true story. It would be no problem fitting an early pump to a later tank. So tomorrow I'm going to make spacer to step the pump up 5mm higher!

Visa, you should get a pressure pump from an Mi16 or BX16V. Cheap as chips and externally mounted. They also have a primer pump in the tank.

I didn't know that! I thought they were all interchangeable.

If you can get hold of a phase 2 tank it would be less of a bodge than making a spacer.

Shame you don't live nearby I'd have swapped you for mine.

Does the swirl pot come out of the tank to be swapped?

petert
I didn't know that! I thought they were all interchangeable.

If you can get hold of a phase 2 tank it would be less of a bodge than making a spacer.

Shame you don't live nearby I'd have swapped you for mine.

Does the swirl pot come out of the tank to be swapped?

I have a Phase 2 tank. I wanted to fit the pump into the Phase 1 tank I cut in half and had plastic welded. I didn't think the swirl pots could be removed? I should go and give it a go.

ALEX
I didn't think the swirl pots could be removed? I should go and give it a go.

Niether did I but it's got to be worth a look.

Pugnut

i'm searching for a late type fuel pump . i fitted an earlier pump to a late tank and found it hard to go round any tightish corner at pace without a post corner splutter with anything less than half a tank. with the correct pump it never missed a beat even when you were down to the last few litres.

cheers, Allan

ps, richie you have pm

ALEX
i'm searching for a late type fuel pump . i fitted an earlier pump to a late tank and found it hard to go round any tightish corner at pace without a post corner splutter with anything less than half a tank. with the correct pump it never missed a beat even when you were down to the last few litres.

cheers, Allan

ps, richie you have pm

:D Mines started doing this after fitting the new pump. I've been putting it down to a bad earth connection.

Makes sense well spotted, I would have never figured this out.

Looks like I ned a late type pump too. :)

Sign in to follow this