• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
ryangti

Very Poor Fuel Consumption

ryangti

After driving my 205 for the first week i've noticed its very poor on fuel, only getting about 50 miles from £10 of fuel (not an accurate measure i know) ive check for leaks from on the hoses/rail/gasket but found nothing, i checked the afm and cleaned all the connections, but where is the temp sensor located? could this be the cause?. its a 1989 1.6gti model .

thanks

Rob_the_Sparky

Could be all sorts of things if this is a new car to you. AFM temp sensor is one of the likely culprets but so are a rich idle, retarded ignition, bust vacuum advance, AFM...

Rob

ryangti
Could be all sorts of things if this is a new car to you. AFM temp sensor is one of the likely culprets but so are a rich idle, retarded ignition, bust vacuum advance, AFM...

Rob

Yeah all the above are possiblities, i think the timing and vacuum advance are fine though as the car runs and sounds okay, ill get ill check the emssions tomrrow to see if it is rich idle, if not i guess its the AFM, does anyone have what the voltage readouts will be for the AFM, cant find it in the haynes

tidypug

i'm only getting that in mine and mines a pretty much standard Mi

chrisj21

again an odd way to measure it but my 89 1.6 goes 50-60 miles to a tenner thats after a rolling road tune up!

cheers

Radster

My 89' 1.6 used to return about 70-90 miles to a tenner depending on how heavy my right foot was :wacko: I would definately check out the idle mixture.

Edited by Radster

DaveK

my 1.9 8v cost £20 to 110miles, sounds right to me mate. Possibly overfueling slightly tho. what rob said hehe

danpug

My experiences of 1.6 fuel consumption are the same as Radsters, i would say there is something wrong. And a near standard mi16 should be better than that too! My mi16 on 1.6 box had very similar economy to a 1600 gti, no matter how i drove it. I gained about 15 mpg after i replaced the faulty afm when i first got it!

Rob_the_Sparky
Yeah all the above are possiblities, i think the timing and vacuum advance are fine though as the car runs and sounds okay, ill get ill check the emssions tomrrow to see if it is rich idle, if not i guess its the AFM, does anyone have what the voltage readouts will be for the AFM, cant find it in the haynes

You will not notice a bust vacuum advance, apart from a drop in economy, check it.

Timing isn't hard to check so I'd also do this - just mark it before you start so if it is fine at the moment it is easy to return it to where you started.

AFM can't be measured like that as the output depends on the air flow. You need a meter and a flow bench of sorts to measure them with a meter to any accuracy. You could know if it wre totally knackered but then the car wouldn't be running so it would be fairly obvious anyway!

Rob

Guest Michael_L

This is about what I get, I haven't got a particularly heavy right foot (except occaisionally on the right roads ; ) )

I'm in the school of thought that anything over 25 mpg, driving around town, on a 18 year old car is pretty acceptable !

Rob_the_Sparky

On a 1.9 35mpg is possible and 30 mpg should be achievable if you don't have a heavy right foot. 25mpg and there is something amiss...

rocky

Hi Once again Guys,

I believe my 205 mi16 is overfueling. Why?

-i can smell fuel when i open the windows (particularly passenger side)

-exhaust has strong fume smells (no smoke though)

-I got 50 miles from 10 litres of fuel, and i kept revs below 4000 rpm the whole fuel cycle (does this seem right?)

The car seems to run fine and is smooth, but it does not seem so economical, and the smell is of concern. I cannot see any visible leaks of fuel, but where should i be checking for this?

Rob_the_Sparky
Hi Once again Guys,

I believe my 205 mi16 is overfueling. Why?

-i can smell fuel when i open the windows (particularly passenger side)

-exhaust has strong fume smells (no smoke though)

-I got 50 miles from 10 litres of fuel, and i kept revs below 4000 rpm the whole fuel cycle (does this seem right?)

The car seems to run fine and is smooth, but it does not seem so economical, and the smell is of concern. I cannot see any visible leaks of fuel, but where should i be checking for this?

Can you post this as a new topic? To answer in here in any detail will lead to a thread hijack as the Mi16 fueling is significantly different to the 8v.

Cheers

Rob

Doof

My 1.6 gti always stinks of fuel too, and the white garage door has become black from where i start it up in the morning.

EDIT - can we keep this thread going though for my overfuelling 8v rob :ph34r:

Edited by Doof

Rob_the_Sparky

Yeah my 8vs tend to stink when cold as well but economy is OK. My guess is that the ECU temp sensor is over compensating for it being cold.

Check your plugs if you think it is running rich all the time. I had 6.5% CO at tick-over (seriously stank) but plugs were fine as it was only rich at tick-over. Cleaning the AFM, switching to 98+RON fuel and setting the ignition timing sorted it out. Eventually I had to swap the AFM (didn't try re-tracking it as I'm lazy!) as it was on the end of its adjustment.

Rob

Guest l33tor

Having just got a 1.9 205 GTi I have found the MPG to be very poor (about 15 mpg). I have changed the fuel filter, plugs, leads, cap and rotor with no difference. I have taken off the AFM and it seems OK. How do you clean it?

Rob_the_Sparky
Having just got a 1.9 205 GTi I have found the MPG to be very poor (about 15 mpg). I have changed the fuel filter, plugs, leads, cap and rotor with no difference. I have taken off the AFM and it seems OK. How do you clean it?

Old tooth brush and carb cleaner (or other suitable solvent) and scrub the inside, and if you can do the air bypass drilling as well. Then a spot of oil on the flap bearings.

Rob

GLPoomobile
Then a spot of oil on the flap bearings.

Rob

Rob

I just tried this but my wife has just stormed off in a huff.

What am I doing wrong :)

Alastairh

Deffinatly something amiss.

I could get 70ish miles in my 1.9 with a 1.6 box.

Take Robs advice, one of the most problematic items is the ecu temp temp sensor id say :)

Alastair

hodgy
After driving my 205 for the first week i've noticed its very poor on fuel, only getting about 50 miles from £10 of fuel (not an accurate measure i know) ive check for leaks from on the hoses/rail/gasket but found nothing, i checked the afm and cleaned all the connections, but where is the temp sensor located? could this be the cause?. its a 1989 1.6gti model .

thanks

i got that on my 1.9 then put R1 carbs on it and it stayed the same, ive fitted a group A cam and lightend fly wheel and its dropped to 45miles to £10

Sign in to follow this