• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Phil H

1.6 Gti Rear Beam - Semi Seized?

Phil H

Just had a drive in a 205 1.6 GTI that has been standing for a while and it was bouncing around a fair bit at the rear. When I try to push down on the rear corners there is some movement, so is the beam likely to be partially seized and will some spirited driving over some hump back bridges help free it, or is it a case of no way back and need a rebuils / replacement.

I cannot remember what is normal suspension as not driven one for so long, and was hoping to buy this one but didn't think they bounced...opinions please?

pug_ham

It does sound like it is on its last legs before seizing solid. They should move pretty freely if you bounce on the taligate opening.

A few spirited drives over some hump back bridges might free it off but its a far better idea to refub it before its in need of a more expemsive rebuild including new radius arm shafts (if they aren't already needed).

Graham.

Anthony

Even if you do free it off somewhat with a few hump backs and speed humps, the underlying cause is still there (ie a shafted beam) and will reoccur if the car isn't usually regularly

Phil H

I kind of thought it was futile idea...

anyone have a keenly priced decent 1.6 beam?

Sign in to follow this