• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
GLPoomobile

Rolling Road Graph

GLPoomobile

Sorry if I've posted this in the wrong section :D

Can some of you with more experience than me take a look at these two pics of a RR print out and tell me the following?

1 - Does it look like it is a print out of a standard XU9j4 (mi16)?

2 - What do you make of it?

3 - Anyone know anything about Hi-Tech Motorsport and what their rollers are like (actually, I'll do a search on this one once I've finished typing :) )

1st run

2nd run

From what I can gather from a search, it looks reasonably like a standard Mi16 plot, but with a low Max BHP and at lower RPM than usual. Do you think the operator just let go early? Possibly if it was a recent rebuild and not long run in/partially run in, and didn't want to take it to the limiter?

Opinions please :D

Edited by GLPoomobile

welshpug

first peak power is exactly where my 8v has it, though mine has has less :) (only 24 less :D ) torque curve looks like typical 16v XU, slight dip around 3.5-4k but still a fair lump of it.

as for wether he lifted off or not shouldnt you be asking him that??

for a standard tired engine it doesnt look too bad, most of the power isnt actually lots mechanically but through management and timing issues though

smckeown

both torque curves and power curves look basically the same as factory (as in shape and values) as I can see, except the power curve doesnt climb over 6k as it should. What did he say ? he has plenty of experience with mi16's

here are my reproduction of the factory versions, pretty accurate reproduction too

http://www.track-monkey.co.uk/images/2058v..._comparison.gif

http://www.track-monkey.co.uk/images/2058v..._comparison.gif

I only looked at the first graph based on my update. Strange as from every hi-tech RR printout i've seen with my own eyes seem to over read

GLPoomobile
as for wether he lifted off or not shouldnt you be asking him that??

Welshy boy - I thought the vague nature of my post gave an indication of the fact that I was not in possesion f the facts :D

It's a printout that came with my car. No date on it. All I know is that the engine had a DES rebuild with OE parts. I'm sure it didn't come from the previous engine as it was a standard 1.6 8v, and I doubt it was from the engine prior to its rebuild and install in to this car (but I suppose it's possible). In fact, there is no vehicle info on the print out so it may even not be for this car :D

I'm not concerned about the engine. It seems to perform OK, and I trust that with a receipted rebuild from not long ago that it is reasonable health. I'll probably get it on a rolling road at some point in the near future and may even plan some minor mods (intake cam etc?). Just interested in why the graph seems to peak early and at only 141bhp :)

Edited by GLPoomobile

welshpug

hmm, maybe its a really strong .6?

one thing i'd do is give Des a call or pop in with the car, heard lots of good about them and met Des at llandow and was a nice bloke would chat and have a laugh with anyone :) (shame I didnt get a chance to check his 405 out, it was shifting round on his AO48's!!)

Edited by welshpug

GLPoomobile
hmm, maybe its a really strong .6?

one thing i'd do is give Des a call or pop in with the car, heard lots of good about them and met Des at llandow and was a nice bloke would chat and have a laugh with anyone :) (shame I didnt get a chance to check his 405 out, it was shifting round on his AO48's!!)

Yeah, I probably will pop up to DES at some point as I want one of their SS Group N systems and I fancy getting someone else to fit an exhaust for me for a change. Would like them to give it all a check over too as I really don't know enough about Mis at the moment.

I've just been reading that Hi-Tech have notoriously high reading rollers so now I'm even more confused! Perhaps the graph is supposed to indicate 141bhp at the wheels (which would tie in with what I've just read about them over reading by about 20bhp) but that still doesn't explain the low RPM peak.

I know that the only real use for an RR is for tuning and that I should take this with a pinch of salt. And that the on road performance is what matters. But I'm just curious if I might be correct with my initial idea about why it is peaking at circa 6k.

Edited by GLPoomobile

jackherer

They probably just read the RPM off the tacho rather than a proper hookup.

welshpug
They probably just read the RPM off the tacho rather than a proper hookup.

which would explain the 600 rpm difference, 205 tacho's are notoriourly unreliable!

GLPoomobile

Ahhhh, it all start to fall in to place :)

Thanks you two. Nothing to worry about then. And it's plenty quick enough.....

for now at least :lol:

johnrobertgordon

After looking at the graphs and picking up on bits with my highly traind eye I can tell one important factor for sure. In the first graph I would say that the guy pressing the naughty pedal probrably cained the engine to get 140bhp out of it, now for the science bit. In graph 2 it clearly shows he cained it a little more as he managed to squeeze 141bhp out of it. My guess is he had a sip/cup of coffee somewhere between the first and second run.

Apart from that all looks normal, lol.

Mikey G

The second run being higher at lower speeds could be due to heat soak in the exhaust (hotter gases and velocity), or tyres gripping the rollers better (again due to heat).

GLPoomobile
After looking at the graphs and picking up on bits with my highly traind eye I can tell one important factor for sure. In the first graph I would say that the guy pressing the naughty pedal probrably cained the engine to get 140bhp out of it, now for the science bit. In graph 2 it clearly shows he cained it a little more as he managed to squeeze 141bhp out of it. My guess is he had a sip/cup of coffee somewhere between the first and second run.

Apart from that all looks normal, lol.

Nice one JRG :D Top quality posting :)

Makes a change for me to be asking a sensible question and having someone else corrupting it with a useless comedy reply :lol: Made me chuckle though.

James_m

How does it rev when you drive? does it clatter into the limiter easily? The way the power drops off at the end is not what an mi16 feels like to drive....

GLPoomobile
How does it rev when you drive? does it clatter into the limiter easily? The way the power drops off at the end is not what an mi16 feels like to drive....

I've only driven it anger once on Sun morning and I didn't take it to the limiter. I'm used to 8v and their 6.25-6.5 limiters so I never really explored the last few hundred rpm. It was plenty quick enough anyway!

Picked it up on Sat and drove it back to Devon with my dad but he is a terrible passenger. And now I'm back in London with the car at my Parent's in Devon, hence why it's only been thrashed once.

Another feasible suggestion has been PMd to me by someone on here who I believe knows their stuff. I'll wait to see if anyone else makes the same suggestion though :lol:

James_m

Its like a game now, can anyone guess the answer? :lol: One other possibility, is maybe its the the low comp non D6C MI16 i forget the name of? Pretty unlikely though id say, and even more unlikely someone would rebuild it and not upgrade to the high compresion spec.

petert
One other possibility, is maybe its the the low comp non D6C MI16 i forget the name of?

A DFW.

SPGTi

Mick's rollers :lol:

Ok this is the only place I let touch my 205 engines and have been using them since the early 90's.

The RPM is taken from the engine, everything, spark, fuelling, emmissions are monitored during a run. Depending on results bad)a compression test will be done and then a leak down.

Forget the numbers as I am sure this is down to the temp. correlation (ie adjusting to 20C) as sometimes they are as expected other times a bit high (my own theory, from personal results, as I have took my car there in all weathers etc.)

Setting up a car is Micks speciality(most of his customers are companies /racers and always go back) and the rolling road is used as a tool. I have never been dissapointed even when the adjustments on a 205 are minimal. There are no secrets you can watch and ask as many questions as you like.

All figures are flywheel.

Steve

smckeown
Another feasible suggestion has been PMd to me by someone on here who I believe knows their stuff. I'll wait to see if anyone else makes the same suggestion though :lol:

8v loom and dissy with adapter ?

DrSarty

For your next run GLP, I was very impressed with NTR in Slough here. Also note the relationship building with Peugeot and PugFest.

Bernie has had several 'chats' with PeterT regarding my engine and the first run I did with s*itty fuel, and also now what seems to be a misbehaving AFM or injector.

Lots of time setting it up as SPGTi said, temp sensor near air filter, emissions sensor and revs taken from the HT system. Lots of care too and interest in getting accurate, usable results to eek out more power and fault find.

They also use - with a fan BTW - the same Australian RR/Dyno system that PeterT gets use of which is excellent for comparison purposes, and I think we all agree that PeteT is a man of experience and wisdom.

Heck, we could go together dude?

Rich

Sign in to follow this