• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
driversdomainuk

Uprated Springs

driversdomainuk

Hi

I knwo I did post this some time back but have lost thread. Where can I go to get stiffer front springs to fit my NON coil over Konis..?

I know DT sell a wide range of springs for coil overs but nothing for what I am after....

(see previous post about 24mm TB) ........now with my "to be" ultra stiff back end what lb spring would be good with Konis without having to modify the dampers?

I am thinking around 300lb..?

driversdomainuk

What are peoples view of Spax RSX coil over dampers...? DT do a pair for £144

With coil overs (esp. with Spax) what is the size for ordering springs..? is 2.25" the standard spring size..??

If I am correct in thinking it is 2.25" for choosing springs, does anyone then know what inch length would be required if I ordered Spax RSX?? think they go from 10" upwards...

cheers

SPGTi

me again.

As they are in the Modifying section not motorsport (and being so cheap)says to me that you will probably have worse damping characteristics than your Konis but will have a larger selection of springs and height adjustment.

Look at AST products, Bilstein work well on Rally cars, Proflex if you have a big wallet, AVO have bought out some coilovers with 40 and 50mm inserts with remote cannisters, call them direct ask for money off, say you will put some stickers on your car and ask for more money off.

Good dampers are not cheap.

Steve

driversdomainuk
me again.

As they are in the Modifying section not motorsport (and being so cheap)says to me that you will probably have worse damping characteristics than your Konis but will have a larger selection of springs and height adjustment.

Look at AST products, Bilstein work well on Rally cars, Proflex if you have a big wallet, AVO have bought out some coilovers with 40 and 50mm inserts with remote cannisters, call them direct ask for money off, say you will put some stickers on your car and ask for more money off.

Good dampers are not cheap.

Steve

But what length springs will I need to go for and are they all 2.25" width..? (coil over springs)

cheers

SPGTi

Springs can be

1.9" id

2" id (not very common)

2.25" id (most common)

2.5" id

or PTS did 75mm id springs on their coilovers

You can get in 2.25" springs a free length of 4" - 14". I presume you would run 7" or 8" springs but it maybe wise to use helper springs with them.

Steve

SPGTi

For comparison, I run a stdish ride height, sometimes lower sometimes higher dependant on event (road rally).

My set up is

Bilstein strut bodies

40mm inverted inserts (gravel spec)

9" 185lb/in springs (2.25")

eccentric topmounts set to std castor with 1.5" negative camber.

std rear with Koni adj dampers (prob same as yours)

I find this gives me good handling on fast tarmac as well as over rough tracks. Fairly neutral but can still induce oversteer.

Of course my setup is a lot softer than what you need, but already my front end is stiffer than your current setup with a std rear end.

Steve

Rippthrough

Faulkner will do you 1 off spring sets.

petert

My front is a bit different to Steve's, but it's purely for tar.

Bilstein 40mm inserts

340lb, 6.5" FL springs, 2.25" ID with helpers

eccentric top mounts

adj. wishbones

3 degs. neg. camber, maximum castor

Coil springs for coil overs are cheap as chips compared to other components of a race car. So it's cheap and easy to experiment on the front. Best to get the back correct the first go however!

Edited by petert

smckeown

Bilstein 40mm inserts

eccentric top mounts

adj. wishbones

Coil springs for coil overs are cheap as chips compared to other components of a race car. So it's cheap and easy to experiment on the front. Best to get the back correct the first go however!

interesting, thats pretty stiff up front compared to your rear. What front ARB are you running ?

driversdomainuk

Bilstein 40mm inserts

eccentric top mounts

adj. wishbones

Ok - how will this setup sound....340 lb springs 2.25" with a 9" length. A good set of coil over dampers matched with eccentric top mounts.

Oh by the way, eccentric top mounts vs concentric top mounts..? the difference is again.???

SPGTi
Ok - how will this setup sound....340 lb springs 2.25" with a 9" length. A good set of coil over dampers matched with eccentric top mounts.

Oh by the way, eccentric top mounts vs concentric top mounts..? the difference is again.???

Check on spring length, as you may not be able to go low enough (not sure though). I use 9" for basically a gravel spec rally car.

Eccentric allow adjustment of castor and camber, concentric are std type top mounts (no adjustment).

Steve

petert

A 9" spring at 340lbs would leave the car way too high. You'd be able to fit your fist between the tyre and the guard. A 225lb 9" gravel spring is even too high for tarmac.

The std. top mounts are concentric. Eccentric allows you to move the top of the strut in any direction to increase/decrease camber & castor.

driversdomainuk

sorry, jumping ideas here somewhat..

I have just got an email from Faulkner..they can do custom springs for non coil over Konis. They say they are 155mm width - can anyone confirm this.

Also would 300lb springs be too hard for my dampers...maybe 275 would be better..?

driversdomainuk
sorry, jumping ideas here somewhat..

I have just got an email from Faulkner..they can do custom springs for non coil over Konis. They say they are 155mm width - can anyone confirm this.

Also would 300lb springs be too hard for my dampers...maybe 275 would be better..?

any ideas..?

pug_ham

205 standard springs outside diameter is 155mm.

Personally for non coil over struts I think 275lb's is enough but the choice is yours.

Graham.

Sign in to follow this