• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
chrisj21

1.9 Engine And Expected Power!

chrisj21

hi everyone,im sure this topic has been spoken about many times before so appoligies in advanced.

im currently planning the bare shell rebuild of my 1.6 gti while its at the body shop.and after much rolling around in my head ive decided to go for the 1.9 8v engine as apposed to the mi16,no particular reason as money is no object as such i just like the idea of keeping it 8v.

anyway my questions are as follows,im looking to get as much power as possible out of the engine so what are my power limits keeping the standard internals but rebuilding.and also limits with changing/upgrading the internals? im thinking of running bike throttle bodies and an emerald ecu or similar.

what have you guys done and using what parts/configeration? also where have you sourced parts or had work done?

many thanks

chris

bales

Why are you keeping the internals standard if money is no object?

Bit of an open ended question really, you can get 200bhp+ for serious £££'s

But for example when I was going to get my 8v rebuilt from a respected engine builder from near where I live it was going to come to about £3500 for everything including t/b's etc... and that would hopefully have been about 170-175bhp from previous engines he had built.

Whereas you could get similar power much much more cheapy from a rebuilt mi16 or a pretty much standard gti-6 engine.

But if money is no object why don't you go to Longmans or the like with about £10k and see what they can offer you :blink:

chrisj21

thanks for the reply. im hoping to do as much of the rebuild myself apart from skimming/honing etc.but actually bolting it together will be down to me.so im looking for a sensible target of power.sourcing the parts will be down to myself. im looking for some ideas on the best mix of parts that other people have used and have experianced.

thanks

Owain1602

If you want a decent improvement in power you will need to improve/change the flow characteristics of the head and valve seats, it will be pretty difficult or impossible for you to do this sucessfully yourself i would have thought.

They question is too vauge really, what do you want? How much spending?

Doof

If you're heading towards the 200bhp mark the 16v route will save you many thousands of pounds. With no reason for sticking with the 8v i'd seriously reconsider the Mi16 / GTi-6 route. For 500 quid (fitting yourself) you'll have 167bhp....500 quid on the 8v would probably just get you back to the 130 bhp the 1.9 8v engines should actually be...plus you'd still have the dreadful drivability of the jetronic system.

I'd reconsider 16 valves, but i'm not you.

Ahl

I agree with Doof. Sticking with the 8v is silly unless its for competition class regulations or something.

Miles

Nothing wrong with the 8v and building to say 180bhp isn;t that expensive, Yes I know that a set of bodies on a 16v will get 200bhp but you don;t get half as much oil problems with it compared to the 16v unit.

For the head, The only place really is Richard Longman as time and time again there 8v head's (Race) always produce the power, but I'd deffo change the internal's inc the crank to the 16v one.

ALEX

You get better low end torque with an 8 valve and on a twisty B road it's probably more favourable than the Mi lump.

I've never driven an Mi16 powered car but my mates Renault 19 16 valve was like driving a 1 litre fiesta until past 4000 RPM.

Ahl
You get better low end torque with an 8 valve and on a twisty B road it's probably more favourable than the Mi lump.

That's nonsense.

Also you can't compare the renault engine to the mi.

bales
You get better low end torque with an 8 valve turbo and on a twisty B road it's probably more favourable than the Mi lump.

^_^

TEKNOPUG

What do you plan to use the car for? If its for fast road use then 8v turbo is a no brainer.

chrisj21

hi guys thanks for all the replys and you've really got me thinkin now.

it may be worth adding that im after a reliable engine as im planning a road trip to france (let me no if anyone wants to come along).

cheers

Doof

when you going round France? i'm heading out there in June sometime...well im doing Germany, Italy and a few others too...Nurburgring for sure!! ^_^

chrisj21

hi doof. well as soon as the cars rebuilt and run in but it wont be as soon as june.dropping the shell of at the body shop sat. still have parts to source.

id love to do germany and the ever famous course! italy would be great to.

Sign in to follow this