• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest KayMarie

Problems Starting Up :(

Guest KayMarie

My car has problems starting it up a lot, especially from cold, turning over and over but not catching on. Can anyone give me advice as to what i can do/look at to solve this? Its a 106 XSi.

I know its a 12 year old car and will be a little slower then most but still, i don't think it should be doing it as much as it actually is.

:D

Edited by KayMarie

Guest cknotty

A friend of mine has a 1.4 XSi, which always used to struggle to start. Turned out the fuel pump was on the way out as it finally packed up on a rally and completely cut out. After the replacement one went in, the car started much better after that.

Other suggestions could be a duff coil pack giving a poor spark, or ECU temp sender perhaps?

Hope this helps.

Chris

Casanova

Worth inspecting the plugs and leads too; if they're past it they're not expensive to renew.

§

Enfield

If the spark plugs and leads haven't been changed I would change those first as they're probably the cheapest and easiest to do.

Guest KayMarie

Soark plugs were changed but i'm not sure about HT leads, i'l have a look there.

Also, someone on another site said i should try leaving it sat priming for a little bit before i turn it on, which i did and it reduced it a little. I'l try leaving it primin for a little longer today and see what happens....

If leaving it longer makes it start up quicker, what do you think the problem could be?

Guest cknotty

That's strange because my 1.4 doesn't prime at all. The fuel pump only starts running when the ECU receives a signal from the crank sensor to tell it that the engine is turning. Unless the 1.6 system is different of course.

I still think this sounds like fuel pressure issues. Either your fuel pump is starting to go, or they may be some fuel leakage somewhere.

How old are the fuel feed/return hoses to the fuel rail? Mine were the original ones, and started to look a little past their best. Then I found there was a pinhole leak in the return hose, spraying fuel everywhere! :D This led to the fuel pressure in the system being lost when the car was off, and consequently it took a few turns to build up pressure again. Have since replaced them with some lengths of high pressure fuel hose, and it has been fine since. :blink:

Chris

EDIT: 100th post: woo! :D

Edited by cknotty

number2301

Update on this, we also find that giving it a little throttle starts it up straight away, sound like a fuel pump thing? I'll try have a look at the fuel lines.

djinuk

my 19 year old xs struggles to start so i just pump the throttle 3 times before starting and catch it then hold it at 2 for \5 secs. all is good then :wub:

Guest KayMarie

Yeah, i understand that its old and may need an extra boost but its annoying and i want it fixed :wub:

djinuk

i wouldnt worry about it , its a old car and you can get away with it. :wub:

Guest KayMarie

Well, after trying to leave it priming again to see if it helped, it doesn't. So the next time I started it, i pumped the accelorator a couple of times and it started pretty much straight away...

I know some people who just do this as ritual now on their older cars but does thisa indicate something that i can look at and fix? :)

Guest cknotty

All I can say is that it sounds really strange, as all it does is open and close the throttle butterfly. Perhaps you could take it all out and give it a really good clean out and lubricate the throttle return spring. Maybe have a look the thottle position sensor too?

Chris

Guest KayMarie

I'm gonna give everything a good going over on Friday as its my day off. See what we find :lol:

number2301

It also kicks out a load of bluish smoke when you pump the throttle before starting it, not at any other time though.

Sign in to follow this