• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
steve@cornwall

Any Vw / Seat Buffs About?

steve@cornwall

I've been offered a cheap 1.0 arosa for my son to learn in later on (year to go) but it has cold start "issues". I.E it won't start in the cold without a drop of petrol poured into the "carb" (as related to me). Once started initially it runs great, and starts easily from warm.The local VW stealership reckons it's about 300 squiddlies to fix :D and this wouldn't be worthwhile. As it sounds like a temp sensor problem, anyone know about such things on VWs? My head says an override switch to the dash may be the order of the day, unless you know different?.

My idea is to run a small engined runabout on my main insurance, with son as named driver, and the gti/cti on classic cover as cover for a teenager is just ridiculous

Mikey G

It does sound like a temp sensor problem but havent a clue where it is on that engine.

What year is the Arosa? It may be worth finding someone with VagCom in your area and plug it in to find out.

Owain1602

Temp sensor is about £15-£20 and a doddle to fit, less than 30 seconds.

steve@cornwall
Temp sensor is about £15-£20 and a doddle to fit, less than 30 seconds.

Sounds good, where abouts would I find it? around the thermostat area? I've not even seen the engine bay!

It's an "R" reg arosa

pugrallye

sounds more like the throttle body is gunked up to me... anyway coolant temp sender is either on the right hand side of cylinder head, or on top hose of radiator pipe at front of engine it will normally be blue or black with 4 pins in and a green or black spring clip holding it in. Early one is 28.00 quid and 12 quid for G12 coolant, it is not possible to just use a bypass switch as its a varying resistance. And DONT try to change it when coolant is hot, lol

Edited by pugrallye

steve@cornwall
sounds more like the throttle body is gunked up to me... anyway coolant temp sender is either on the right hand side of cylinder head, or on top hose of radiator pipe at front of engine it will normally be blue or black with 4 pins in and a green or black spring clip holding it in. Early one is 28.00 quid and 12 quid for G12 coolant, it is not possible to just use a bypass switch as its a varying resistance. And DONT try to change it when coolant is hot, lol

Thanks for that, should be all the imfo I need :lol: Sounds like it's worth a punt at 150 quid then

pugrallye

most definately

steve@cornwall

:wacko::):P:D replaced the temp sender with one acquired from a polo at the scrappy, put on a charged battery and started first time, even though it's been sat for 3 months.Leccy windows and PAS too!

Well chuffed and big thanks- esp Pugrallye- I owe you a pint! This forum is really the nuts!

Sign in to follow this