• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
miamigtimark

205 Bbq!

miamigtimark

Hi all,

(another) problem with my 205. Slowly getting the car back to a half decent standard and was taking it for a part respray. Id just set off in it with the headlights on main beam. I messed with the dash light reostat(sp) and very soon after the dash lights died and the car began to smoke from behind the dash. I ran out the car expecting it to go up in flames but was lucky. i looked at loom behind the dash and found that a relay and one wire has burnt out(white with valeo stamped on it). The fault has affected the dash lights (ie when headlamps are on) the tail lights and the number plate lights. Now i know that the car had been retro fitted with large spots and a stupidly big stereo(these are all gone now!). What do i need to look at and what are my options . ireally want to save this car!!

Cheers,

Mark

jackherer

If the metal body of the rheostat touches ground it will smoke, I discovered this recently when I cable tied it to the steering column of a stripped 205 :ph34r:

Ren

If the white relay is the one under the steering column this is the buzzer for when you leave your lights on and the engine off.

Ren.

pug_ham
If the white relay is the one under the steering column this is the buzzer for when you leave your lights on and the engine off.

with the drivers door open.

Sounds like this relay has failed though.

Graham.

miamigtimark

Thanks for the suggestions.The relay is on the drivers side connected by four wires to a light blue plastic connector, the white valeo item sits on the end. One of the wires to this has properly melted. it only starts to smoke when the lights are on though. Id like to know where to look for the fault and cure it for good. Ithink that if the wiring on the car has been messed with too much i would need to find the root cause before i find another dash loom. Any ideas guys? The car is a 92 1.6.

Ta!

Ren

In the engine bay there is a black box in the top right corner as you look from the frontof the car. Inside is 2 relays, one of which is the dim/dip relay for your headlights. Might be worth checking this isn't damaged and shorting on anything. On my old Roland Garros it was bolted to the bulkhead and fell out of it's casing. It then touched the bodywork and melted all my lighting loom back to the drvers footwell. Might not be but worth a look.

Ren.

miamigtimark

Well i got the car back from the paint shop today so i could have a proper look at the wiring. The white valeo relay has three not four wires coming from it. Ive traced the burnt out one right back to the light switch on the steering column. The loom looks as if it has not been tampered with. Can i assume the light switch is at fault then?? On a plus point i have no laquer peel or paint fade any more though ^_^ !!!

miamigtimark

Just had another look same wire burnt out right back to the fuse box!!! ^_^

Sign in to follow this