• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Enfield

More Problems

Enfield

Done an oil change the other day and ever since the car has been spraying oil up onto the bonnet. I believe it's coming from the dipstick but it's firmly slotted in but doesn't quite sit in place...just off centre.

Nothings changed though, the dipstick was always like that and I never had this problem before.

Also broke down in it the other night.

My lights went very dim and eventually cut out as did my hazards, put it down to a dodgy battery which I had put on that day. So got the original battery and stuck that on and drove it home.

Noticed that the lights were dimming again so thought it was the alternator. Turns out it was a wire that leads from the mini fusebox to the positive terminal on the battery had snapped off.

So today I re-wired it but I still don't think the battery is charging properly (it's quite new) and when i rev the car the volts don't go up. I think it was reading 12.2v with the engine on and off but was slowly climbing up with it off.

I just want to beat the hell out of this car! Really I do!

johnnyboy666

i had the same oil spraying thing with my gt ages ago, i never did find out why it was tho cos it failed the mot and i broke it in the end, as for the battery charging u might want to get the alternator checked, i got new brushes and regulator fitted to mine for about £20 down the local scrappy and now its fine

i think voltage should be around 14v when the car is started? i could be wrong tho

pugrallye

you have probably lost the seal around the dipstick, really common for spraying oil everywhere, new dipstick time!

It has been known for oil to contaminate alternator brushes and cause them to fail and since you dipstick lives right above the alternator.... really healthy alternators should put out about 14.2v above idle

Edited by pugrallye

DaveW

ahhh but the rallye dipstick is on the right.... i think its the HG mate thats where mine is leaking from....:lol:

Enfield
ahhh but the rallye dipstick is on the right.... i think its the HG mate thats where mine is leaking from....:D

It's definitely coming from the dipstick.

Hopefully getting another tomorrow as well as an alternator.

Henry Yorke

My XS started spraying oil above the alternator once, well it leaked from the outside of the headgasket onto the alternator pulley and sprayed on the inside of the bonnet

stu_woac

rocker gasket not sealing right? can look like its coming up the dip stick if you have a healthy engine it shouldnt push up the dipstick tube thats why its along tube Ive ran with out dipsticks before without spray check the littleblue wire on its own o the alternater is working properly before you fork out for a new one could just be not on right

Enfield

Hey Stu

Got an alternator from a scrappy and the problem is now fixed.

Rocket gasket rubber seal is new, that was put on a few weeks ago before the oil change and didn't have the problem then.

Have tapped up the dipstick and haven't had the problem since.

Only real annoying thing about the car is the ticking noise from the engine. I can hear it over the exhaust when going past buildings and my exhaust is definitely not quiet! Straight through, no cat, no silencer to a 3" backbox lol.

Will have a go at adjusting the valve clearances again but is there anything else I can do?

Sign in to follow this