• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
m.i-man

Oil Catch Tank Fitting Inc Pictures

Dream Weaver

This is mine:

breather2.gif

Gentrix

correct me, if I´m wrong, but don´t you want a kind of vakuum or low pressure in the crankcase, so that the pistons won´t have to much resistance from the pressure in the crankcase?

In this setup, the crankcase has to pump the vapour in the Catchtank - rather, than the Catchtank sucking the vapours out of the engine.

andi

m.i-man

So the crank breathes through the filler into the catch tank, and the rocker vents straight to the catch tank.

Where my filler hose connects to the crank, it shouldn't have that tee piece then looking at your pic dreamweaver. I shall block off the pipe that is running from the catch tanks drain to the crank, and put the drain back in the bottom of the tank then, job done!!

Cheers guys! :wacko:

Dream Weaver

Don't know if mine is the ultimate setup though m.i.man, it was taken from a link on Burton Powers website IIRC.

Gentrix - that could be the case, but most of that sucking into the inlet on the std system is purely for the environment.

tom_m
correct me, if I´m wrong, but don´t you want a kind of vakuum or low pressure in the crankcase, so that the pistons won´t have to much resistance from the pressure in the crankcase?

In this setup, the crankcase has to pump the vapour in the Catchtank - rather, than the Catchtank sucking the vapours out of the engine.

andi

there is a slight benefit to running negative pressure in the sump, but it will run fine without it.

madvalver

Catch tank catches the oil vapor thats in the gases being pumped/sucked out of the crank case, rather than dumping them on the road and all over your engine bay. Doesn't matter if it's drained back to the sump or not, Really depends on how much oil your getting out of your breather setup. More oil in the tank, less in the sump!!

Water/white gunk/emulsified oil is not disirable but a small amount, caused by wet weather, short jorneys ect. is normal.

Its not really the job of the catch tank to collect this as it should be boiled off when the engine is hot and vented to atmosphere or burnt off if the breather is returned to the inlet. Excessive amounts could point toward other problems(head gasket etc).

m.i-man

I have no blocked off the pipe, and set it up like dreamweavers!

Madvalver- I think you maybe the guy that said this before, if not, iirc I've read exactly the same somewhere! Which is how I came to do the oil return to the crank!

But on further thinking, I will be doing a lot of short journeys in this car in the near future, so it may pay me to leave the oil/water being able to be collected in the tank?

Sign in to follow this