• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
m.i-man

Oil Catch Tank Fitting Inc Pictures

m.i-man

So toady I had a bit of fun with the old tap and die set.

I bought one of them oil catch tanks from ebay a while ago, and have looked into how to fit it etc, but wasn't to sure. So today it was do or die!

The catch tank has to inlets at the top, and a drain on the bottom. I wanted to convert this drain plug into an outlet, for two reasons. One being that the oil would drain back into the crank instead of it staying in the catch tank. The second being this would also let the crank breathe.

I decided to use an air line connection to be the part that would connect the hose form the crank, to the drain on the catch tank.

So here goes:

The original drain was 10mm as shown:

1catchtank10mmdrain.jpg

So I drilled it out to 11mm, and tap'd it to 12mm:

2Catchtanktap12mm.jpg

I then ground the air line adaptor's thread off (very roughly) as this was a 13mm fitting:

3airline13mmgrinded.jpg

I then die'd the ground thread to 12mm:

4airline12mmdie.jpg

Which then to my surprise, meant the two fitted together!!

5newoutletontank.jpg

I then chopped the hose form the oil filler to the crank down, so that the filler now sits under the near side carb.

6fillerchoppeddown.jpg

I then cut the pipe that connects the rocker to the crank (base of the oil filler pipe) The pipe is highlighted in green, and the red line by the carb filter is where I cut the pipe:

7rockertocrankpipehighlightedandcut.jpg

With this done, I fixed the crank/base filler pipe to the bottom of the catch tank:

8Catchtanktocrank.jpg

I then connected the pipe from the oil filler cap to one of the top connections on the catch tank, along with the second connection on the catch tank was connected to the top part of the cut pipe that runs from the rocker cover.

So here it is all done, and in place on a semi-neat bracket!

10catchtankinplaceonbracket.jpg

Hope this is of some help to others also!

Edited by m.i-man

M_R_205

i love yoy, my catch tank is arriving next week (also off ebay and possibly the same as yours :S lol) any way i was wondering how it was all going to go together, question answered :)

btw is that an xs rad u have in there??

m.i-man

It's in a 309, and afaik, that's a std 309 rad.

Also, I forgot to mention that it's an mi engine (most will guess from the pics). So if people are trying to do the same on 8v Xu's or TU's etc, then it may not work this way!

Edited by m.i-man

tom_m

since the catch tank is designed to catch water vapour i would hesitate to plum it back into the sump :lol:

pugrallye

catch tank should be plumbed in series in the breather system, although some people vent it to atmosphere (put a filter on top and put both breathers to it and blank off the return to the intake pipework)

christopher

Ok it in a TU. But my catch tank collects an awful lot of water and some oil after a few months.

tom_m
Ok it in a TU. But my catch tank collects an awful lot of water and some oil after a few months.

last time i emptied mine it was 99% water

M_R_205
last time i emptied mine it was 99% water

i always thought it was oil vapopur they cought not water vapor, :S maybe your engine is leaking water :D

tom_m
i always thought it was oil vapopur they cought not water vapor, :S maybe your engine is leaking water :D

yes and no, there are oil vapours there too, but one of the the points of the breather is to allow moisture to be removed from teh oil, thats why you get mayo under teh oil filler cap. if it was just oil vapour in there all it would be was oily.

and yes i know that negative pressure in the sump is a desirable thing and if the breathers weren't there the pressure in the sump would pump the oil out the dip stick.

m.i-man

See, when I went to do this conversion to start with, I researched all the threads I could find.. but nowhere did anyone come up with 'definate' way of doing it!! So I went along the basis of how Peugeout designed it originally, and worked with their thoughts, hence me returning the oil to the sump and using the catch tank as the breather.

Installing a catch tank wont increase the volume of water generated or stored over that of the original design... plus I always changed my oil and filter every 3k as a course of habbit, and will continue to do so!!

I will let you know if I encounter major problems though! :D

Edited by m.i-man

tom_m
See, when I went to do this conversion to start with, I researched all the threads I could find.. but nowhere did anyone come up with 'definate' way of doing it!! So I went along the basis of how Peugeout designed it originally, and worked with their thoughts, hence me returning the oil to the sump and using the catch tank as the breather.

Installing a catch tank wont increase the volume of water generated or stored over that of the original design... plus I always changed my oil and filter every 3k as a course of habbit, and will continue to do so!!

I will let you know if I encounter major problems though! :lol:

so you're not actually using it as a catch tank at all and just replacing the oil filler with the catch tank. very bling :)

Dream Weaver

That's what I thought :lol:

Only problem with those catch tanks off eBay (I have the same one), is that they have no baffles inside, unlike the mesh in the std Pug filler part - so as well as oil and vapour returning to the sump, you'll also get all the other debris and particles that are normally caught up in the baffles.

Mine is purely a catch tank, and vented to atmos, though it never seems to have anything inside it.

Richie-Van-GTi

Ive set mine as dreamweaver etc, no return to the tank. from the little running its had all its ever caught is water vapour. Id rather not be returning that to the oil.

taffycrook

I always use a diet coke bottle (less weight) as a breather tank.

Just run a pipe from the oil filler cap and hey presto.

On the std set up a lot of the vapour is burned in the engine as it runs a closed loop to the inlet manifold very good for the air we breathe but not so good for the engine. With carbs most people use a catch tank, but you could use the manifold in the same way as the injection system but make sure its after the carbs.

m.i-man

The way I've done it, was the way described on here by someone. They argued that they wouldn't want their crank sealed as it will cause pressure that shoouldn't be there, so I was advised to do it this way.... but if the majority of you disagree with this, maybe you could draw a diagram to how yours are installed?

But untill then.... It's not a filler. The filler remains. All I'm using it for is to vent the pressure. Originally it was to be a catch tank obviously!!! but after the banter amongst others, they decided it was better to let the crank and rocker breathe and to do it the way I have done it as there's no real advantage to catching oil, as the stuff that they do actually collect wasn't worth worrying about.

Plus I've never had major problems like some of you are describing. The goarse(sp) in the filler has never had anything collect in it (when on injection or carbs). but I do frequently change my oil, so this may explain it? :ph34r:

Edited by m.i-man

Richie-Van-GTi

Cant be bothered drawing mine but will try to describe it.

All oil pipes run as normal except where theres 2 breathers and one return pipe on the neck as well as the main filler pipe I have one breather going to the catch tank and the other going back into the return pipe then the other outlet/inlet on the catch tank has a breather filter on it and just a drain plug in the bottom.

pugrallye

The 'mayo' so everyone calls it is caused by damp weather conditions and has nothing to do with regular oil changes you could change your oil every 2.5k miles but if your miles were covered in cold mornings you would be inundated, lol

The way it 'should' be run to be enviromentally friendly etc.. is rocker cover > tank > wherever rocker cover pipe was going to. (also some manufacturers vehicles rely on crankcase pressure to run properly, so as soon as the pressure is vented to atmosphere, say with a filter, they run and misfire like buggery)

Try to locate tank as high as poss in engine bay.

Edited by pugrallye

m.i-man
The way it 'should' be run to be enviromentally friendly etc.. is rocker cover > tank > wherever rocker cover pipe was going to. (also some manufacturers vehicles rely on crankcase pressure to run properly, so as soon as the pressure is vented to atmosphere, say with a filter, they run and misfire like buggery)

Try to locate tank as high as poss in engine bay.

I see what you mean about the weather thing. I only drive at night, so damp mornings aren't an issue, which could be an explanation!!

So when fitting a catch tank to an mi, if the catch tank only has two inlets, would it be best to run the rocker to the tank and then the tank to the crank? :ph34r:

What would I do with the filler outlet tha originall went to the inlet manifold? :wub:

Cheers!! ^_^

pugrallye

If you cut your crank case breather hose in two, and slotted the catch tank between, that would be the ideal scenario if you get what i mean (a bit lacking in mi16 pics at mo)

Edited by pugrallye

m.i-man
If you cut your crank case breather hose in two, and slotted the catch tank between, that would be the ideal scenario if you get what i mean

Yup I get that part, just the filler cap outlet that concerns me... would I then blank the outlet on the filler cap off so this becomes sealed?

pugrallye

where would that end have gone to?

untitled-1.jpg

submission for tony hart ahem!

anyway, you should be only cutting onto one hose, so everything else stays as is (unless you fancy condensing loads of breathers, but they have no effect on the catch tank scenario)

Running under the assumption, you have a catch tank with only two inlets

Edited by pugrallye

m.i-man

The inlet manifold iirc.

pugrallye

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

m.i-man

But I only have two inlets, or one inlet, and one outlet.... so by the time I have put the pipe from the rocker into the catch tank, and then from the tank to the crank, I have no room for the filler cap breather pipe. :blink:

I get the rocker/crank pipe thing, but if I do it that way, can I just block off the filler cap breather without causing pressure? :D

This is how it looked originally, if you ignore my coloured drawings that is!!

catchtank.jpg

pugrallye

actually yeah, or do it how you have done, block off the x's and put the crank case and filler cap hoses into the tank

Edited by pugrallye

Sign in to follow this