• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
foreigner

Diesel Gti Project Has Passed Pnr (point Of No Return)

foreigner

Just started my long waiting project -

Diesel GTI ( I know there is STDT but mine will be different)

Step 1 - all electrics removed and exhaust out. Ready to take engine out tomorrow if weather is good.

Plan:

- To build 205 GTi with 1.9 td (that's Turbo Diesel).

- Want to put water injection in

- Thinking about chargecooler instead of intercooler (if I find one for free)

- Also heard of CO2 system (not sure about it)

- Still considering Propane injection (not really keen on it)

- Definitely after I blow out first engine it's going to be 2.1 at least

- and planning is still going on...

ANY SUGGESTIONS PLEASE ??????????

Edited by foreigner

foreigner

- so new beam (new for the car but much better than existing one) already waiting in van to be installed.

- driveshafts waiting too as bearing on long one was completely gone.

- now just to clean engine and think about exhaust.

Just seen some stuff about propane injection some will think about it even more.

foreigner

- Engine is out.

- So are driveshafts

- Also couple broken plastic bits

inferno

hehe broken plastic bits from anywhere important?!

ak 205

friend of mine has already done this do a search for user - dtoru & read the spec sig

DTORU

Not A Cheap Conversion M8, I Paid Out Over 7K on Doing Mine And Its Still Not Finished!

Very Good On Fuel But Unless You Spend Wads On The motor Not Very Quick. Stick With The 1.9 More Mods Avaliable For It.

Thanks

DTORU

foreigner
hehe broken plastic bits from anywhere important?!

NO JUST GOT FED UP WHEN REMOVING ENGINE AND USED HAMMER TO REMOVE COLD AIR FEED, THEN i DIDN'T PAY ATENTION TO LOCKED BONNET AND HEARD SOME CRACKING BUT OTHERWISE FINE OH YES AND THE GRILL.

foreigner
Not A Cheap Conversion M8, I Paid Out Over 7K on Doing Mine And Its Still Not Finished!

Very Good On Fuel But Unless You Spend Wads On The motor Not Very Quick. Stick With The 1.9 More Mods Avaliable For It.

Thanks

DTORU

What have you spend 7k on?

I got engine for free so that's £0 so far. Everything I took of the old 405 fits so it's just the bits like belt and so on.

I had two 306 td's and was very happy with them. ( not to mention 80% lower fuel bills)

foreigner

So recent updates:

- on Wednesday morning I decided to go to work bit later ( 6pm instead of 10am ) and fitted the 1.9 td lump in ( and big lump it is in small 205 )

- couple problems occured on the way:

1. engine was located 100m from the car so I had to push it on trolley to get it there.

2. Brake cylinder (correct me if wrong name used) in the way to fix top mount. Easily done by removing it and fix after engine was in position.

3. Air intake pipe for turbo was too big to fit in 1 inch gap so was removed.

4. Have no bracket for alternator. ( £6 from Pug dealer)

5. Regreting not taking offered intercooler from inferno ( mate that was good idea ).

6. Driveshafts didn't fit. So for everyone who told me they will fit here is hint THEY DONT. The part which goes into gearbox is about half inch too long. Luckily guy who took my engines out was lazy and cut off driveshaft after the cv boot and left that bit stuck in so hopefully I can just change those and will be fine. Also shafts I bought with rear beam won't fit so will used them in next project.

I think considering that I have never done engine changeover similar to this it was pretty painless. Only engine changeover I had done before was in Skoda 120 Estelle year 1978 (just 3 years younger than me) and if anyone remember those you just need strong hands instead of crane.

Now it's loom, exhaust, fuel pipes, gearlinkage, driveshafts, alternator bracket, rear beam changeover ( thanx for the beam inferno ), uprated springs and about another 254 another things time.

Since there is no article about this on the main site could someone tell me how to post one there.

Edited by foreigner

ak 205

I got engine for free so that's £0 so far. Everything I took of the old 405 fits so it's just the bits like belt and so on.

I had two 306 td's and was very happy with them. ( not to mention 80% lower fuel bills)

thats what i was thinking sure u havent miss calclated or is that including the bits u havent fitted / got yet . would b interested in how u have spent this money , unless your including purchase of car & suspension in this figure as u have spent £1500 there i suppose

PsychoSimon

for the air intake to the turbo, I used a dturbo item and that fitted icely, as it's profiled to fit round the master cylinder. The 405 pipe is round IIRC and is squashed between the cylinder and the inlet plenum.

What driveshafts did you try? My base model onesfitted without problem in the 405 box. I was always under the impression that the inners of all be driveshafts were the same?

foreigner
for the air intake to the turbo, I used a dturbo item and that fitted icely, as it's profiled to fit round the master cylinder. The 405 pipe is round IIRC and is squashed between the cylinder and the inlet plenum.

What driveshafts did you try? My base model onesfitted without problem in the 405 box. I was always under the impression that the inners of all be driveshafts were the same?

They are the same diameter but longer nearly missed that but there was some oil dripping from gearbox and when i checked it they were too long but as I said it's going to be hopefully easy job.

foreigner
thats what i was thinking sure u havent miss calclated or is that including the bits u havent fitted / got yet . would b interested in how u have spent this money , unless your including purchase of car & suspension in this figure as u have spent £1500 there i suppose

Not really

- car 500

- tax 170

- 405 150

- rear beam 50

- belt and tensioner 26

- everything else will be unneccessary extras for my pleasure.

At the moment I don't need anything else to run just need to put it together.

To make it faster I could do all the things I said but not before engine is running and all the bugs are killed.

Edited by foreigner

foreigner

More work done today.

- I forgot that I still got turbo air intake pipe from 306 which fit absolutely perfect ( some money saved there).

- Most of pipes are connected, intercooler on (got to get new gasket),

- Driveshafts sorted, there was funny problem with one of the safts luckily I had another in another gearbox and that one fit perfect.

- I damaged the driver side brake caliper when screwing brake pipe in, thread is gone. So if anyone got spare caliper for 1.6 gti please let me know.

- Exhaust will be pain (so hammer time).

- Still got to do electrics ( that should be fun )

- Still don't understand how can anyone spend 7k on diesel gti. Even the gearlinkage fit it's much easier than I thought ( and tomorrow I'll have big problem, don't know what problem but for sure I will have)

Working on pictures.

ak 205
Not really

- car 500

- tax 170

- 405 150

- rear beam 50

- belt and tensioner 26

- everything else will be unneccessary extras for my pleasure.

At the moment I don't need anything else to run just need to put it together.

To make it faster I could do all the things I said but not before engine is running and all the bugs are killed.

soz foreigner was aiming my quote at buddy chris ( dtoru ) hoping he would inform us on how he got 2 his total, just when he first started i said bout going hdi route , but he said that would b to expensive but if spent £7k now wonder what he would of spent on hdi , bearing in mind u could poss do it 4 almost half that amount , hopefully he will post a reply soon

foreigner

Now I need advice.

Clutch cable?

205 clutch is pull and 405 is push as I can see it from cable arrangement.

- how do I convert cable to fit and work wiht 405 clutch ( I know I should have kept the original cable and fittings from 405.

PsychoSimon

The clutch cable you already have will work, if you space it. IE at the moment it won't adjust down far enough to even get close to touching the bracket and release arm. I made a nylon spacer to take up any excess space either side of them. You could use a socket etc temprarily i suppose.

Also if you're using the top mount intercooler, you won't be able to use that black rubber bit that goes on top, and if you have to sit in traffic the you will find it very flat afterwards, because the heat "soaks" the intercooler. I was gonna go for a front mount but got a bit ambitious with my boost and fuel adjustments and made a nice bang with some smoke lol :P

Gotta love paint!!

post-7075-1176633626.jpg

foreigner

Thanx for the clutch advice.

I kind of worked it out similar as you said. I am going to my local scrapy tomorow to get similar spacers so it doesn't slip I used springs from exhaust as temporary measure.

Also had to do somthing funny about my accelator cable as too long as well. Funny little car.

I also found so many cooling pipes I couldn't believe it need so many.

So now it's just electrics and exhaust.

By the way does anyone know anyone near Watford who could weld exhaust system for me.

inferno

ive used the above clutch bodge when fitting a gti 6 box, just source spacers off another car.

any local garage would take your exhaust on, but as i said in your wanted, if u cut it to size ill weld it up when u come over next time.

welshpug

to save the bodging use the clutch release mechanism off the old gti box on the new TD unit.

foreigner
ive used the above clutch bodge when fitting a gti 6 box, just source spacers off another car.

any local garage would take your exhaust on, but as i said in your wanted, if u cut it to size ill weld it up when u come over next time.

I am sorry for confusion.

I can't fit any exhaust because all I have is in the way for gear rods.

I think it's hammer time.

inferno

should be able to slot the original dpipe enough to angle it around the linkages and subframe..

foreigner
should be able to slot the original dpipe enough to angle it around the linkages and subframe..

It's too tight. I'll try to hammer it but probably no point.

I got dpipe from 405 and that one touches linkage, so it's just the matter to cut and bend the 405 dpipe and weld it on the original exhaust as that one is ok. Or maybe sell the exhaust as is quite fine and have one made.

DTORU

300+

Ok This Is For Starters:

Turbo Technics Custom Turbo: £1100

Piper Custom Cam: £500

Nitrous: £500

Methanol Injection: £400

Head Work: £100

Pug Parts: £1000 - £1500

Suspension: £600

Brakes: £200 S/H

Wheels: £250

Car: £350

Brakes Line: £50

Turbo Timer: £80

Electronic Boost Controller: £300

Turbo Display: £200

Quickshift: £100

Rear Beam Recon: £400

Engine: £100

HDI Gearbox: £50

LSD: £100 S/H

Quaife Final Drive: £100 S/H

I.C.E : £600

Etc, Etc.

Loads Of Other Stuff Left To List But You Get The Idea!

But It Depends On What You Want? I Wanted a Diesel 205 To Be Quicker Than A MI16 205.

Thanks

DTORU

foreigner

No worries mate.

I just want fast diesel car but on the budget.That's why I moved to diesel cars. So your car is different to mine in many ways.

How is the methanol injection? Is it the same system as water injection or it is different?

Now I got standad looking GTI with diesel engine and luckily it might be fast too (one day)

Sign in to follow this