• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
jtek

Alarm/immobiliser

jtek

my gti has no alarm or immobiliser fitted whatsoever, and it think its time i got one sorted. are they simple to fit or should i get one fitted? i am not terrible with wiring but i'm no wizz kid either. i will probably just look at an immobiliser because alarms are a whole lot more expensive it seems. any makes/manufacturers/fitters anybody can recommend around the north of london? thanks

Edited by jtek

GLPoomobile

I had a Cat II immobiliser fitted for £130 by a Clifford franchise around the corner from my flat. Can't remember the name of them but they are located on (or right next to) Ballspond Road right next to the Hackney/Islington border. It was one of the those horrible Touch Key imobilisers that are a bit of a pain to use, but it worked and the install seemed tidy enough.

But to be frank, most installers leave a lot to be desired and often leave you with broken trim, no matter how respected or how wonderful the company may appear.

In addition to imobilising the car, it is an absolute must to make sure the car is not attractive to scum, so leave nothing on view what so ever, leave the glovebox open (so they can see you haven;t left any valubles in it), and remove the steering wheel. I carry a socket set and it takes seconds to get the wheel off/on, but you can get a Snap Off Boss and after market wheel if you are lazy ^_^ . I have also relocated my headunit so it is now hidden while still totally useable, and left the factory location empty with the wires hanging out.

Edited by GLPoomobile

jtek

yeah its amazing what people will have out of cars these days, i shall probably get something along the lines of a clifford system, and relocating the headunit could be a possibility also, not sure where i would put it, i also have a steering lock which seems to help as at least a deterent

GLPoomobile
yeah its amazing what people will have out of cars these days, i shall probably get something along the lines of a clifford system, and relocating the headunit could be a possibility also, not sure where i would put it, i also have a steering lock which seems to help as at least a deterent

Firstly, I'd advise against getting a Clifford. I read time and time again that they are more hassle than they are worth. I think the problem is that they are only as good as the person installing and programming them, so they tend to get bunged in and then forever cause problems. Far too many bells and whistles too.

A lot of people swear by Toad systems, and I had one on my first GTi and it was fine. Very much a Ronseal product :D Incidentally, I have an Avital Max on my current GTi and it often shows me that the alarm has been tripped in my absence, even though there is no sign of entry or damage. I'm sure it just randomly goes off. IIRC, Avital are a Clifford sister company so read in to that what you choose :)

I can give you details and pictures of how I 'stealth' mounted my head unit. Absolute piece of piss too :D

jim205GTI

Funnily enough i never had any probs with the clifford 300 on my 205 :D ........... the only time was when the security guards didn't respond to the alarm going off less then 100 metres from their office :) .........

It must have been installed well .............. guess i was lucky :D

jonnie205

Dont bother with alrms and immobilsers. i have prob removed about 60 alarms and immobilisers from 205's over when they have had engine conversions or been made into rally cars. All have been very very badly fitted and to be honest will cause more hassle than they are worth. They are also very easy to get round. Most only actually cut 1 obvious wire to stop the car running. Most of the functions dont actually work at immobilising the car they are just gimicks - locking doors, closing windows, bleeping, flasing leds etc.

If your leaving car in the station or somewhere it is likely to get pinched just put a swicth in line with fuel pump or ecu power etc. This is far far easier and cheaper to do than fitting an immobiler and is actually more effective

mogsman

It all depends on how it is installed. My Concept 300 was installed perfectly, never had a problem with it. The guy who did the install spent longer going through the system with me. Other people I know have just been given their keys back with no idea how to use the system.

Ian

jim205GTI
It all depends on how it is installed. My Concept 300 was installed perfectly, never had a problem with it. The guy who did the install spent longer going through the system with me.

Yer thats was like mine he was really good about it aswell as it was short notice install :) ..... shame he's not doing it anymore..............

Guest harry snotter

don't get the type that has the seperate key thingy, really really annoying :ph34r:

Sign in to follow this