• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
ross009

2.0 Mi16 With 1.9mi16 Inlet And Ignition

ross009

basically i've decided to go with 16v power think im gonna go for a 2.0 iron block mi16 but someones recommended using the 1.9 mi inlet manifold afm, coil etc will this create any problems they seem to think its the best way to go? also ive read something whilst searching about having to change one of the cams if you use the 2.0 mi due to it spraying oil some where it shouldn't is this right or am i getting totally confused? any help greatly appreciated cheers

Super Josh

Can you find out why they think this? I can't think of any reason to use the 1.9 system on a 2.0. The 2.0 system is better because it gets rid of the dreaded AFM, which is one less component under the bonnet aand most are pretty worn now. Also the mapping will be all wrong too ^_^

The only bad thing about the 2.0 system is the AVAC, but you can disable that. And the coil packs are a liitle bit fragile, but a new set should put some reliability back in.

If anything, I would like to use the 2.0 system on a 1.9, if we could get the right map for it.

Josh

Edited by Super Josh

Miles

I ran this in a old 205 of mine and it was great, mapping wasn;t bad at all which did surprize me, It's a easy swap with as you say the Inlet cam, Stat Housing, Blanking off a oil drain hole on the side of the head, cam cover if you like.

I hate the plastic inlet with a passion as it makes working on the car a nightmare compared to the Mi16 or GTi6

Or you can add the GTi6 inlet and keep all the old ECU etc but this will need a remap

Edited by Miles

jackherer

My friends 205 has an S16 with the 1.9 Mi16 inlet cam + management and a four branch manifold and it made 147bhp atw. As Miles says, mapping of both fuel and ignition is fine. Dont forget people have run Mi16s on 8v management and while its a horrible bodge it does make full power and run acceptably. One minor point is that you can only fit the distributor cap on with two of the three screws but this seems fine, even in the long term there have been no problems.

I'm not sure why your friends are recommending it though, my friends engine was delivered from the scrapyard with the inlet mani smashed up so there wasn't much choice in his case.

The 2.0 system is better because it gets rid of the dreaded AFM

gets rid of the crappy, expensive distributor cap and rotor arm too!

If anything, I would like to use the 2.0 system on a 1.9, if we could get the right map for it.

I think the map would be absolutely fine, maybe not 100% optimised but probably better than 90% of the custom maps done by shoddy rolling road outfits where they've barely bothered with the part load stuff that is actually what makes it driveable.

ross009

i think the main reason is to get rid of the plastic inlet and due to the inlets being swapped all the other stuuf would need to be changed to correct? so i dont actually have to change the cam just blank it off? i dont think i'd personally mind a plastic inlet as long as it does its job, i thought i'd made it easy for myself finally to mi it but once u get into it theres so many routes u can go i dont know if i'll ever get it done! lol

Baz

Yes, I think you'd still have to run the inlet cam, as this drives the distributor that you'll need to also use from the 1.9 Mi. :)

jackherer

If you want to run an s16 on an mi16 ecu then you need the inlet cam too so you have something to screw the rotor arm to.

Sign in to follow this