• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest live_in_chaos

1.9 Rear Axle Solid As?

Guest live_in_chaos

Hi all, I got myself a rear axle off ebay that had been lowered 40mm, but now i've fitted it there doesn't seem to be any up or down movement at all. It just seems seized and the drive is, well very bouncy lol. I've checked the shocks, and the arm isn't anywhere near the rebound blocks so its not that, I thought it might have something to do with the lowering but have no clue how to reverse it?

I'm at a loss :wacko:

Is there a way to reverse the lowering of the axle? or should I call it a loss cause?

Any ideas?

Jeff

Jrod

It's a very common problem, bearings in the beam collapse and eventually it will sieze and stop moving.

Will need a refurb (but if it's siezed it's porbally past that)

Baz

Yep sounds as if you've been sold a dead (seized) beam. How long was it sitting about as they can go in a fairly quick amount of time unsuspectingly.

Guest live_in_chaos

The guy said that it had only just been taken off and I pratically put it strait on, so should of had no standing time at all, oh well yeh just looks like I got sod a dud :D

I don't surpose anybody knows where I can get one from do they, as all my local scrappies have none, and tried the internet with no luck?

And I need one asap.

Any help would be cool

Jeff

Gibbo GTI

There's a few beams on ebay at the mo. I was after one a couple of weeks ago and they were like rocking horse sh*t, once i managed to get one though, loads appeared on ebay lol.

welshpug

if its seized then its only just gone, the tube itself should still be fine to re-use.

much better to rebuild it then you know the history and can keep track of it then.

Guest soo

Hi!

Got the similar problem with the rear axle... Changed 1.6 GTI axle to 309's to fit special racing wheels. The 309 axle has been in garage for 5 year or so and after swapping we realized that the right side is not moving at all (left side is ok) - only way it moves up or down is with hammer...

Problem is that in this weekend is another race and we cannot change back to old axle beacause the new tires would not fit. Car is quite unstable in corners.

Is there any change that we could get the axle moving again (in easy way) or does it need to be rebuilt? Quite urgent with this...

Edited by soo

Jrod

Needs to rebuilt and if you keep using it it might be scrap.

If it's siezed the bearings have probally collapsed so it will be wearing away at the shaft and beam tube. Not nice!

Guest soo

Well, we could'nt get it fixed in time so we went on track wiht faulty axle as can be seen on the image (breaking before the curve).

I'll try to replace the bearings at the weekend, hope this solves the problem. The next race is only in two weeks...

Sign in to follow this