• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Mike Walker

Wiring Help Needed Please!

pug_ham

Socket AA is for the fuel pump & nothing else.

One of the wires runs from here to the tachymetric relay & then the other pin goes to the fuel pump connector, both via fuse 15. Power comes to it from the tachymetric relay & not out from the fusebox plug.

The tachymetric relay gets power directly from the shunt box in the engine bay & the ignition switched wire (32a) closes the relay connection to send the power to the fuel pump via plug AA & Fuse 15.

The coil & ignition module are both fed from the same plug on the fusebox as stated earlier in this topic.

Haved you got any power at the fuseboard at all? The main wires in from the shunt box plug into 706.

Graham.

Mike Walker
Socket AA is for the fuel pump & nothing else.

One of the wires runs from here to the tachymetric relay & then the other pin goes to the fuel pump connector, both via fuse 15. Power comes to it from the tachymetric relay & not out from the fusebox plug.

The tachymetric relay gets power directly from the shunt box in the engine bay & the ignition switched wire (32a) closes the relay connection to send the power to the fuel pump via plug AA & Fuse 15.

The coil & ignition module are both fed from the same plug on the fusebox as stated earlier in this topic.

Haved you got any power at the fuseboard at all? The main wires in from the shunt box plug into 706.

Graham.

I'll have a look for power at 706. btw, what's a 'shunt box'?

Mike Walker

706 is getting power fine :D

pug_ham
btw, what's a 'shunt box'?

The battery distribution box (black box on the slam panel) but it might be just a block on the end of the battery positiive lead in your car.

Are you getting 12v at the tachymetric relay? (thick brown wire #30 in this diagram)

Graham.

Mike Walker
The battery distribution box (black box on the slam panel) but it might be just a block on the end of the battery positiive lead in your car.

Are you getting 12v at the tachymetric relay? (thick brown wire #30 in this diagram)

Graham.

Got 12v to tachymetric relay

Bought a 2nd hand shunt box today as well to try although I can't see there being a problem with the old one as it's getting 12v out of every wire coming out of it.

pugman211

sorry as i know this isnt gonna help!!! but this problem has got me wondering what else could it be!!!! You must be sooooo stressed out over it!!!! Hope u sort it soon though!!!1

Mike Walker
sorry as i know this isnt gonna help!!! but this problem has got me wondering what else could it be!!!! You must be sooooo stressed out over it!!!! Hope u sort it soon though!!!1

LOL, a little bit yeah I'm really clutching at straws with the things i'm trying now but I just don't want to hand it over to an auto electrician until I know i've done everything I possibly can to fix it.

I have even been considering replacing the loom :)

Only two things i can think of now that have'nt been tried are immobiliser and loom.

pug_ham

If you've got 12v @ the tachymetric relay & fusebox(706) then the shunt box is fine imo, those are the two main connections on it.

I'd suspect the immobiliser, wasn't that mentioned originally?

I've got a similar puzzling problem atm on mine with the horn & heated rear window fuse/ power so I really want to see this fixed.

Graham.

Mike Walker

Immobiliser has been mentioned and was one of my first thoughts but I got the impression that because the immobiliser still functions as it did before i.e. when light flashes car won't turn over when immobiliser disabled car will turn over that it ruled it out?

Perhaps i'll have a look at disabling it tomorrow evening, erm I guess it would'nt be prudent to ask for tips on this on an open forum?

I wish I could offer you help and advice on yours Pugtorque as you've been a lot of help for me but i'm nowhere near qualified to do so!

Mike Walker

I've just booked it in to be recovered to S&B Auto Electrical in Bristol tomorrow morning so will update with any progress.

Mike Walker

Just had a call to say my car is FIXED!!!!!!!!! :D:D:D:D:D:D

Can't wait to get back in her and treat her like the slag she is :(;)

When I asked over the phone what the problem was the guy said 'pretty much everything mate' wiring, immobiliser, tachy relay etc. etc. so it's not surprising I couldn't fix it :)

jim205GTI

hey thats good news .............lets hope it doesn't put too big a dent in your wallet :)

Mike Walker

It was £200 to repair so not too bad. On closer inspection what he's done is removed the black wire going to the coil that I kept banging on about and connected it to the right place which is on top of the suspension turret :unsure:

He's also bypassed some of the immobiliser as it was faulty which I was halfway through doing anyway.

He also says he did something to the wiring at the fuel pump, there is evidence that he's been there but I'm not sure they actually did anything.

So all in all i'd just connected one wire up wrong and couldn't be bothered to finish bypassing the immobiliser, at first I was pretty pissed off that it was this simple but thinking about it now i've learnt a lot about basic auto electrics and the specifics of the Pug system which I think is an invaluable education to have.

I was also annoyed that I hadn't gone with gut instinct about the immobiliser three months ago when the car first broke down.

Edit: Someone suggested to me that i'd never have the same confidence in the reliability of the car again now and i'd always be sketching about it breaking down, i've experienced this with other cars but somehow the Pug manages to keep instilling confidence in me regardless, the short drive to the station this morning reminded me what an epic car this really is :)

Edited by Mike Walker

Sign in to follow this