• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
jim205GTI

Suitable Gasket Material

jim205GTI

Found a leak from the water distribution block on the back of the mi......... so hoping it was the gasket.... after phoning up the local peugeot and citroen dealers all did not stock it blah blah. :) So me being a cheap skate and impatient sod was wondering what would be suitable gasket material so that i could craft one myself :P .............. the right gasket i think is not rubber ring kind the other kind ........... this part number 1340 10.....................

I was thinking maybe just a thin piece of rubber? :)

tri_longer

I'm sure i've seen at Halfrauds some head gasket sealant, which you can use instead of a traditional style gasket.

I'm sure someone can verify if this is true.

Grim.Badger

The best way of doing it would be to get the later(?) type of distribution block and the rubber ring.

Are you sure yours doesn't take the rubber ring?

jim205GTI

Taking another look at the block there appears no recess for a rubber ring to sit in on either the engine block or the distribution block......... so from that i am guessing its not the rubber ring gasket.. ( which i actually have :) )

Anthony

RTV is your friend :)

jim205GTI

Shall have to go looking for some tomorrow then......... i take it it will be easy to apply with engine in car of course....................... :) ........... ah be good to have some around anyway.... :)

Anthony
Shall have to go looking for some tomorrow then......... i take it it will be easy to apply with engine in car of course....................... :) ........... ah be good to have some around anyway.... :P

Yeah, it's easy enough and what I use in place of most paper/composite gaskets now. Just make sure the mating surfaces are dry and oil free, and give it plenty of time to dry properly before refilling with fluids :)

jim205GTI

Will do!!! get up nice and early clean it all off......... then go and find the RTV ...put it on tighten the water block on and leave it............... make sure temptaion doesn't get the best of me :):)

cheers guys!!!

Edited by jim205GTI

Anthony

If you can't find RTV then silicon sealant seems to do an effective job - done a couple of XU sumps with silicon and they haven't leaked yet....

Banjo

Silicon is amazing stuff, sticks to anything! Can even use it on exhausts! :D

Grim.Badger
If you can't find RTV then silicon sealant seems to do an effective job - done a couple of XU sumps with silicon and they haven't leaked yet....

I've tried using silicon on the coolant system and it still leaked as badly as before. It could have been an unlucky situation I suppose.

You won't be able to see the rubber o-ring until you take the distribution block off; the recess is on the mating face of the distribution block (on 8vs anyway, I presume 16vs have a similar setup). Like most original o-rings it will probably be stiff and plasticy by now.

jim205GTI

Well i had a good poke and pull and couldn't find it so i cleaned the surfaces........... got the sealant round where it should go then i had a good swear when i was trying to line it back up with holes :wacko:;) but finally did it so fingers crossed it will work ......... find out sunday when i will probably next have time to test it.... as i want to wait at least 24 hours for it to cure :lol:

James_R
RTV is your friend -_-

You have no idea how proud it's made me to hear you say that :)

jim205GTI

Well went to fill the coolant up today and the RTV worked a treat only now i found another leak :blink: ........ this time its coming from the oil cooler so obviously i didn't tighten the hose up or push down on to the cooler enough :P ........ but thats a fix for tomorrow now :blush:

Going back to the gaskets the pug and citroen dealers round here are a bit of a mixed bag sometimes they'll be super helpful sometimes they won't be :P ..... one guy said he hadn't sold one since 2002 ;)

Edited by jim205GTI

Sign in to follow this