• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Eddy5

Koni Adjustables

Eddy5

Right just got my Koni adjustable dampers from Peter Lloyd Racing (£306 as opposed to Autofives ~ £375)

I've got some standard springs and top mounts coming on Monday as well (Running to rules and regs in my class)

I'll try and fit the rear dampers tomorrow.

What should I look out for when fitting them?

Anybody got any tips on any additional items I'd need?

The instructions for the front dampers shows some sort of long threaded bolt running inside the spring holding the damper together. Do I need to get one of these or does the standard shock have this fitted (I can't rememeber) Maybe it's part of the kit (Haven't looked properly yet :ph34r: )

Guest Batfink

have u got a web address for peter lloyd racing as I need to get some suspension myself and these seem a good price.

Also what stiffness do you set the front and rear shocks?

blue1.9
What should I look out for when fitting them?

Anybody got any tips on any additional items I'd need?

The instructions for the front dampers shows some sort of long threaded bolt running inside the spring holding the damper together. Do I need to get one of these or does the standard shock have this fitted (I can't rememeber) Maybe it's part of the kit (Haven't looked properly yet  :D )

Look out for: Make sure that you support the hub so you don't damage the driveshafts :o if you're following the Haynes method.

Additional bits: Spring compressors - you will need these to get the new springs onto the strut - get good ones and make sure they are fitted securely - you don't want a spring to get loose! Something to separate the hub from the hub carrier - I used a metal wedge to open the carrier, but a cut down bolt that has been ground to a rectangle at one end can also help to open up the hub carrier by pushing the rectangular end into the gap and rotating the bolt (it will make sense when you see what you need to do [i hope :ph34r: ]).

Also needed: Probably lots of plus gas, swearing, a hammer and lots of tea/coffee... ;)

The threaded bolt is (I think) a retaining strap that can be used to help the process...you don't need them as the strut can be removed from the car without them and you can then fit your compressors!

HTH

Alex

Edited by blue1.9

Eddy5

OK great thanks for the info.

Sorry meant to be Peter Lloyd Rallying (Not Racing)

PLR is at http://www.peterlloydrallying.co.uk/

The website isn't great, but give them a call and they're very helpful and friendly.

Guest Hallsy

Just a word of warning on these shocks.

Make sure u fit decent dust/s*it guards, at least to the rears any how, and keep an eye on them for as long as they are under warranty.

I recently re-adjusted my rear torsion bars and also decided that i was gonna soften up my rear koni's. After trying to adjust them it seemed that the adjuster would continue to keep turning adn would not return to its rest position. The shock didn't want to move at all either. We had to put it in a press to get it to compress. Adjuster was still knackered.

I finally got it on the car, at an unkown stiffness and decided i would find my receipot and get a new pair, BUT...... can't find my receipt!! I do plan to tajke them both off and try freeing them up, but haven't got round to it yet.

Anyhow, just my experience for ya!

Eddy5

Where can you get the dust guards?

Guest Hallsy

For the front ones, i'm pretty sure you would be able to re-use the ones that were on your old shocks, unless they come with some already fitted.

As for rears i'm not sure, mine came with no dust guard, and i'm not sure that u could use the ones from your old shocks. Might be able to, if not, then its quite possible that Koni can supply some.

Guest himbigchief

You could pay Koni to get them reconditioned?

Dunno how much it'd be, but for one shock, I wouldn't have thought too much like!

James

Guest Hallsy

Good idea, perhaps i could look into this.

fiji bob

i used a couple of steering rack gaitors on the rear shocks when i changed them

Eddy5

Rears fitted, so far no problems. Bit difficult to access nut and bolt above exhaust and an 18mm spanner would be useful.

Not used dust covers as the car won't be used that much, so shouldn't cause any problems.

Set the dampers to 1 click up from lowest damping ratio.

Front tonight!

Eddy5

OK rears done and torqued.

Front drivers side strut off, disassembled and now to put the Koni on.

So how do I tighten the nut on the top of the piston shaft when there's no alan key hole like in the original strut.

I've had one suggestion about an air drill, but I don't have access to one of those.

Any ideas would be extremely welcome :D

Guest mrswampy

if they are the same at the top as amy spax, thentheeis a flat you can clamp witht a pair of mole grips etc whilst ging the nut up inderneath

Sign in to follow this