• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
ste996

Groaning/creeking Steering

ste996

Did a search and didn't find out much.

Got a groaning/creaking noise coming from the steering when i move the wheel, does this when parking and moving along at speed aswell. Power steering model.

Plenty of fluid in the resevouir

Any ideas anyone.

zilog
Did a search and didn't find out much.

Got a groaning/creaking noise coming from the steering when i move the wheel, does this when parking and moving along at speed aswell. Power steering model.

Plenty of fluid in the resevouir

Any ideas anyone.

Could be seized suspension top mounts.

Ren

Yep, mine did that when my bearings were dead in my top mounts. You have a couple of options, either buy a new kit consisting of bearings and rubbers from a local motor factors. I think they come as a set per side, T45702, £22.50 each from GSF although it's an old catalogue so will probably be dearer now.

Or buy a set of BBM uprated rubbers and the buy the bearings only. I got mine from GSF, listed for a Citroen Berlingo, N45710, £7.25 each, again could be dearer now.

Can't remember how much the BBM rubbers are but I'm sure with the discount to forum members it worked out cheaper than buying a standard set.

Oh and Peugeot charge over £40 a side plus VAT.

Ren.

ste996

looks like a suspension overall is called for then.

New dampers and springs while i'm at it ;):P:D

Any recommendations on dampers and spring,going to be used on road 99% off the time so don't want to go to tarck biased.

nick

Drop links are the usual cause.

Nick

Duroc
Drop links are the usual cause.

That's what I've found, also.

GLPoomobile
Oh and Peugeot charge over £40 a side plus VAT.....

Ren.

.....which is for the COMPLETE top mount assembly, not just the bearings and rubbers. Hence if you want nice shiny new black top mount cups (the bits that stick up above the turrets in the engine bay) and all the nuts and bolts, then you buy the more expensive, complete kit from peugeot.

Simes

Droplinks.

Disconnect them, then try steering again.

ste996

What are these droplinks, were are they. pic would be good, must have seen them under the arch just never realised what they are. Have heard these mentioned in a few threads before.

DaveK

Yeah id say droplinks. Look under the arch for random vertical bar about 12inches long, stick out a mile, easily changed, and cheap

Edited by DaveK

nick

If your tight like me, buy a can of chain lube and stick the straw up into the rubber boot on each end and fill them with lube.

Nick

Sign in to follow this