• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Shevy

What Gearbox Oil To Use And How Much For A Rebuilt Box

Shevy

I'm just giving my friends 205 XS an overhaul at the moment and my next job is the gearbox.

What gearbox oil do people recommend to use.

Does anyone know roughly how much it would cost to get the gearbox refurbed ?

Cheers

Kevin

swordfish210

i had my box rebuilt in the summer last year by a place in reading called 3D Transmissions (they also have a base in aldershot) they were really easy to deal with and are generally top class people. The rebuild cost me about £350 (because the box was allready out of the car) and it was done in less than 5 days.

Super Josh

What work was done for the 350?

Josh

swordfish210
What work was done for the 350?

Josh

uuuuuuu not entirely sure, as far as i know the box was stripped and any worn parts were replaced, the gears were fully inspected and the syncros were rebuilt. all the bearings were replaced and the preloads reset. he did say some other stuff as well but this is all i could understand as i dont know a great deal about gearboxes (cept hewland race boxes) then the casing was inspected and then it was cleaned and painted

stu_woac

total bv 75w80 is good stuff for these boxes doesnt last to long in a track car tho :wacko:

if it needs a refurb badly look into replacing it with a later box post 92 instead you cant go wrong as the boxes are made alot stronger after 92

pugrallye

I have to rebuild mine and i have pre purchased.. input and output shaft bearings, 1st to 2nd synchro bits, final drive bearings and the adhesive for joining the intermediate cover, may need more but wont know til its apart

Sign in to follow this