• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Kennyb

Engine Conversion? Which One?

Kennyb

Ok i've a project 1.6 and i want to drop a different engine in (not 1.9) like gti 6, s16, mi, 2.0 8v turbo.

Which one will be the easiest and what do's it entail (in a short descrip)

I've had a search and cant really find a quick answer :)

kyunis

s16 would be easy, as no modifications are required to bulkhead. You will need the dizzy adapter and uprated engine mounts, dont know much of what else, as mine is running with twin webber 45's.

inferno

8v turbo... every time, cheap and easy to fit. further tuning posibilitys are endless...

jackherer

The 1.9 alloy Mi16 is by far the most documented conversion with the most parts available for easy installation.

There are pros and cons with any engine though, the best thing to do is see what is available to you at a good price IMO.

j_turnell

A search will provide you with lots of info, but personally, 2.0l mi or 1.9l mi.

TEKNOPUG

16v are so last year.......

Kennyb

I've been thinkin 8v turbo, any advice on lookin for a good one? Would i need stronger driveshafts? and which ones? :)

sonofsam

I thought every man & his dog now wanted a 2L Turbo conversion,

Do you think it may of been to do with the 'it can handle 300hp' thread :)

No need for stronger driveshafts.

Try some online breakers to find out some prices for the xu10 turbo engines, many I've seen are

at around 70-90K mileage for as little as 300 quid.

jim21070
Try some online breakers to find out some prices for the xu10 turbo engines, many I've seen are

at around 70-90K mileage for as little as 300 quid.

If you look carefully enough, for that money, you can get an XU10 turbo engine wrapped around a complete car, even with tax and MOT if you are lucky :angry:

Rough Xantia Activas (which cost the economy of a small third world country to fix) are your best source, along with the Citroen XM.

A turbo conversion will suit you perfectly if you like your power low down, delivered in massive doses but with smoothness and subtlety.

sonofsam
If you look carefully enough, for that money, you can get an XU10 turbo engine wrapped around a complete car, even with tax and MOT if you are lucky

Yep, ebays your best bet at the moment :angry:

Alastairh

GTI6 for me :angry:

Don't need to rebuild it as long as you throw a belt on it, un like 99% of all the alloy mi's out there that are f***ed, S16 is good, but the inlet manifold lets it down.

As said they all have pros and cons, but its whats available to you at the right price.

Alastair

Edited by Alastairh

funkymofo

I've read about a bit and I came to the conclusion that GTi-6 was the way forward.

Although 300bhp turbo is enough to tempt anyone away :rolleyes:

Sign in to follow this