• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Turbo7379

Fitted Rose Jointed Gear Linkage

Turbo7379

I had the rose joints & stuff needed to make up a linkage for ages but I only got around to fitting it to the rally car today . I wasn't able to fit the rose joints to the gearbox end of the 2 rods as I couldn't get the arms off the box to modify them . I've made up the linkage with a rose joint at 1 end & the original joint at the other . I'll get the proper joints in next time the box it out .

Even with 2 original joints in the linkage the gear shift is 100% improved & feels like new . :P Hopefully it will help stop me missing my gear changes as before it was like stirring porridge .

I even managed to tighten up the slack in the L bracket with a quick bodge . I removed the 2 plastic top hat bushes , cleaned them with thinners , wrapped 1 layer of pvc insulating tape around the outside , cut off the excess & refitted them to the bracket . The layer of tape squeezed the bush in & left it a nice tight fit on the pivot bolt . :)

I was going to adapt the linkage to make a quick shift but I'll wait & see what this is like first .

VisaGTi16v

I was thinking of this yesterday to the point where I was looking at rose joints on ebay for the reason as you! How did you modify your linkages? Cut off the standard cup ends then have a thread cut into them and then screw on female rose joints? I guess where the original studs are ie on the L bracket and on the bottom of the gearstick, you cut them off and weld on a threaded stud to go through the rose joint with a nut on the end?

Turbo7379

I've did a rally with the new linkage fitted & it's a vast improvement . Another 205 driver had just replaced all his linkage with new genuine Pug stuff but my home-made one was much more precise .

I made my linkage using these rods & M8 threaded bar .

http://rswww.com/cgi-bin/bv/rswww/searchBr...e&Nr=avl:uk

I ground off the back of the original ball joints on the levers , punched out the old ball & drilled the hole out to 8 mm . I used M8 allen head bolts to join the rose joints to the levers with a spacer either side of the joint to allow movement .

Sign in to follow this