• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
DirtyFlare

Electric Window, Drivers Side

DirtyFlare

My drivers side electric window has decided it doesnt want to work any more... It will go down about 2 inches but just stop and wont go down any further or back up.

When you try to make the window go up or down and it gets stuck you can still hear the motor trying to work, but the window doesnt move.

Is this a sign of the motor failing and needs replacing?

I did try to get the window mechanisum out to have a look at it but i couldn't seem to get it free so i could remove it. I followed the haynes manual but it wasnt very helpful :rolleyes:

Can someone please help?

Thx

DirtyFlare

anyone?

there must be some1 that has had the same trouble surely?

Edp

It sounds like something is getting seized or stuck. I would make sure the window rubbers which sit inside the metal window frame (inside the door) are all secure and arent getting stuck in the window. Maybe the 'scissor' part of the system which raises the window isn't attached properly. When you took the door card off did it all look fixed?

I would try and remove the window motor mechanism and give that a good blast of WD40 or similar lubricant. It dosent sound electrical as normally with a basic circuit such as the 205 electric windows they just stop altogether. And as you can hear the motor whirring i'm guessing thats ok.

ORB
give that a good blast of WD40 or similar lubricant

WD40 is NOT a lubricant. Indeed it is good for making stuff work, and yes, by all means, squirt it on your window mechanism, but after it evaporates, put some real lube back on.

Edp

It makes keys go in and out of locks easier so that would suggest to me its a lubricant of some type :D

I mean i'm no lube expert unlike you, obviously ^_^

EDIT: Back on the thread, did you get your window working??

Edited by Edp

Cameron

He probably meant WD40 isnt suitable because its also a solvent and can damage seals and rubber bits.

Have you checked all the bolts are tight? Theres 3 nuts holding the mech in place, then another 2 holding a runner, then another one towards the front holding a guide for the window.

Edited by Cameron

DirtyFlare

i checked that all bolts were tighted and they were.

I greased the runner that i could get out, the horizontal one but i could get anything else out to grease or inspect.

How do you take the window mechanisum out of the door?

Oh and the motor was deffinitly working as i could see it rotating, but the mechanisum wouldnt move, strange

Cameron

Weeeell i took mine out the other day to fit 'leccy windows and this is how i did it:

Loosen the 3 nuts securing the mechanism to the door, theyre in a triangle shape. Then wind the window down, loosen the 2 other nuts which hold a horizontal guide bar in place, and wiggle that out. Then remove the torx bolt towards the front of the door and its now possible to move the window back and forth in the door. So slide the window forwards so that the lower rollers come out of their guides in the bottom of the window. It may be necessary to wind the window up a bit, may not. Then you can carefully drop the window down in the door, undo the 3 nuts securing the assembly in, then move the window up about halfway (by hand) hold it there with one hand and wiggle the winder assembly out of the door.

Theres probably more efficient ways of doing it than that, as ive only dont it once :) and im sure someone will jump in soon enough to say so. But thats pretty much all you need to know and im sure you'll be able to figure out the best way once youve had it apart and see how it all goes together.

Sign in to follow this