• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
pugbender

406 V6 Calipers

pugbender

hi guys does the 406 v6 brembo front calipers fits without any flange or modifications on the 205 1.9 pivots? Does the 288mm disks are necessery to fit these ones?

mi16nut

Try a search, this has been covered many times.

ak 205

fitted set 2 my car & required @ 20 / 30 mm spacers to stay using the 1.9 alloys on 1.9 hubs, also used my willwood 285 discs

pugbender

thank you ak 205 did you use any flange to adapt the calipers or just you bolt them?

d-9

They just bolt on, apparently are fine with the 283mm 307 discs.

pugbender

thank you guys you're really helpful

Miles

The Xantia V6 disc's are a better fit by all account's but I;ve never tried this.

pugbender

I read in a site of special brake components that some version of the 406 v6 has 305mm disks..they sould be better i think!

Hilgie

All the 406 V6s have 305mm discs, but unfortunately the offset is wrong, so you can't use them

283mm 307 HDI discs fit without problems, but they are already the minimum thickness for these calipers when fitted new.

The Xantia V6 discs(288mm) are thicker and have a bit more bite. They need to be modified though.

Miles

Only 406 Coupe's have the 305mm Disc's in the UK, the Saloon and Estate just have 288's I think too

Hilgie

yes here too....forgot to put Coupe between 406 and V6 there :)

pugbender

So the conclusion is:

- 1.9 gti pivots, 283mm disks and 406 v6 calipers and everything sould fit perfect.

Sam
The Xantia V6 disc's are a better fit by all account's but I;ve never tried this.

the 307 ones are direct fit!

DrSarty
The Xantia V6 discs(288mm) are thicker and have a bit more bite. They need to be modified though.

Can you elaborate on the mod reqd please, or is it a secret?

Also, I think Hilgie said the 307s fit fine BUT are the minimum thickness for the pads, so there must be an issue there surely?

Rich :)

Edited by DrSarty

Rippthrough
Can you elaborate on the mod reqd please, or is it a secret?

Also, I think Hilgie said the 307s fit fine BUT are the minimum thickness for the pads, so there must be an issue there surely?

Rich :)

Only if the pistons over-extend - just put a stainless shim between the pistons and the pads.

petert

They fit very nicely with the 307 disc. I just need one more caliper. Does anyone have a spare one?

post-2864-1175255368_thumb.jpg

Hilgie

They do fit nicely but I don't know how many times I need to say this again...the 307 283mm disc is the MINIMUM thickness for this caliper!!!

So the issue is that if the disc wears you'll be over the minimum and the caliper won't be safe anymore.

That's why you need the Xantia disc, which is thicker and fits nicely too being 288mm.

You need to take 1.25mm off the rear of the disc where it mates to the face of the hub. No secrets, just a few runs in the lathe.

Jrod

I'll have mine very soon. :)

Emmy Seize
You need to take 1.25mm off the rear of the disc where it mates to the face of the hub. No secrets, just a few runs in the lathe.

Or you just modify the upright by grinding 1.25mm off, if you don´t happen to have access to a lathe.

Sam

Hilgie, is that from Brembo or going by the requirements of Peugeot? I mean the calipers may be fine but the standard 406 v6 disc might not be fine at 28mm.

B1ack_Mi16

It's probably the disc size that's the problem, 28mm discs can be minimum 26mm thick when worn.

If you change the pads and discs with the 283x26mm setup I can't se a problem in using them.

And as mentioned it'll be an easy fix just to put steel shims between the pads and caliper-pistons to take up the extra clearance you get with the 26mm dics.

After all what's important is that the pistons don't pop out.

ak 205
They fit very nicely with the 307 disc. I just need one more caliper. Does anyone have a spare one?

nice studs & spacers there petert , what size & where could i get some from thanks . also what wheels will u be using

Hilgie
Hilgie, is that from Brembo or going by the requirements of Peugeot? I mean the calipers may be fine but the standard 406 v6 disc might not be fine at 28mm.

That's from Brembo. It's the 26mm is the thinnest allowed on this caliper. Normal discs are 28mm, so the 307 disc with 26mm is already minimum. Unsafe is the word here :)

Rippthrough
That's from Brembo. It's the 26mm is the thinnest allowed on this caliper. Normal discs are 28mm, so the 307 disc with 26mm is already minimum. Unsafe is the word here :wacko:

Just use a shim behind the pads ;)

Hilgie

Bodge...

Sign in to follow this