• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Ryan

Cheap Dry Sump Idea

Ryan

I was flicking throught the old version of the Haynes manual, when I came to the diagram of the oil galleries, and had an idea:

- Use the standard pump to suck oil from the sump, but instead of feeding it to the engine you install a take-off where the oil filter would go and feed the oil out to an external tank. Maybe baffle the sump to reduce it's capacity and so that it tapers down towards the pickup?

- Use a second, external pump (either electric, or belt-driven from somewhere) to pump oil from the tank back through the other port in the filter take-off and into the oil galleries.

If the standard pump pickup becomes uncovered during cornering then there would still be oil in the tank to feed the external pump.

There's probably some obvious downside that I'm not seeing, but does it's at least sound possible?

brianthemagical

i was looking into the idea of a cheap dry sump kit, mainly because i'm naive and stingy.

my idea ended up being using the std pump but modifying the pick to use a long flex pipe that can be connected to the sump then connected back up on the outside. the long pipe would allow connection with the sump off. then use a cheap electric pump and modified, tapering sump to scavenge oil the tank.

my main problem with an electric h/p pump was price, about £400 from demon tweeks, no change in pressure for revs, and reliability probs.

i haven’t done it yet but after my engine rebuild i might try, failing that i'll see if i can try it at uni.

hope that helps.

Edited by brianthemagical

Ryan

I was undecided over using the original pump as the pressure pump or the scavenge pump, as there advantages and disadvantages to both.

I agree with you over the electric pump idea though. A quick search doesn't bring up any that would be suitable (that don't cost £££ anyway). That's why I like the idea of a second mechanical pump. Loads of older engines had external pumps (Ford crossflow being one off the top of my head) that could easily be adapted - make a mounting block and tap it to accept the hoses, then just mount a pulley and drive it from either the crank pulley (maybe use the A/C mounts on the alloy sump?) or from the end of the exhaust cam like the mi16 PAS pump. Using this pump as the pressure pump does have the advantage that it's relatively easy to adjust the pulley ratio to fine-tune the pressure/flow rate.

Ryan

No, thats just a basic pressure accumulator.

The idea was to mimic the operation of a dry sump (pump all the oil out of the sump and store it in a tank, and use a second pump to feed it back to the engine).

swordfish210

why dont you just make a wide winged sump. For those of you who dont know what this is, its basically a standard sump with the same capacity but it is much wider that the standard one. So you get the old sump chop the bottom off of it and make up some wings. Theres some fag packet drawings of one for a CVH engine here: www.sylva.co.uk/technical/cvh.htm

brianthemagical

i never thought about a second mech pump but i think i didn't want the hassle of fitting a pulley. i think someone used ~8 groove pulley for an s/c, not sure where they got it from but it would possibly be useful.

why dont you just make a wide winged sump. For those of you who dont know what this is, its basically a standard sump with the same capacity but it is much wider that the standard one. So you get the old sump chop the bottom off of it and make up some wings. Theres some fag packet drawings of one for a CVH engine here: www.sylva.co.uk/technical/cvh.htm

That’s not a dry sump and the whole point of this exercise is to have a cheap dry sump. if it was any good for 205 use then no doubt someone on this forum would have made one that can do back flips. thanks anyway.

Edited by brianthemagical

Sign in to follow this