• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
mos

2.0 Mi16 Gearbox Capability With 1.9 Driveshafts

mos

hi,

tried searching on this but i didnt find anything

just been talking to one of my mates who i gave a gearbox for his 205, his car is standard 1.9gti running weber carbs.

the box i gave him is one supplied to me with a couple of 2.0 s/mi16 engines last summer by a fellow forum member . i have some paperwork showing it coming out of a 2.0 405 mi16

the problem my mate is having is the 1.9gti driveshafts will not either mate with the diff splines or the shafts are too short to mate with the diff, i cant quite remember which he said.

i was amazed by this as i thought all be3 boxes were compatible with gti driveshafts etc.

the differences being the internal gear ratios

in fact he wouldnt have swapped the boxes if it wasnt for me giving it to him and saying they would be a straight swap so i feel quite guilty about this

does anyone know whats going on here?

the guy in question is a trained mechanic and has worked on my 205s for many years including fitting more than a few gearboxes so he knows his stuff but i have never heard of this before.

thanks

mark

Miles

A strange one I know but the later Diff and slightly stronger, but if you use a LSD the shafts fit of either type as there's only a few mm in it but it's enough on the std one

mos

thanks guys

that clears that up, unfortunately we dont have any s16 driveshafts he can use the end off, but fortunately i have a spare standard diff from when i fitted my quaiffe so i will give him that and he should be fine

mos

hi,

a new problem with this

the spare 1.6 gti diff doesnt look like it will fit with the s16 crown wheel so i may have to get a 306 driveshaft after all

is this driveshaft specfic to the s16

is it the same inner joint, the same fitment on other 306 models

thanks

mark

Miles

The Crownwheel will fit, it just looks different as it's bolted on the other way as such,

mos

thanks miles

spoke to my mate and hes only gone and refitted it with the standard diff in!

as he though the other one wont fit

he now says it will be cheaper/less hassle to get a secondhand driveshaft and play with that so is this type of drive shaft end specific to s16 models or was it fitted to other 306 models, or indeed other peugeots in general as well.

if it was only fitted to s16 models then hes going to have to remove his gearbox again, as s16 are very rare these days and scrappies are bund o just sell him what ever they have lying around so he would be better off fitting the old diff like i told him to in the first place, but if it was fitted to alot of peugeot models then getting one secondhand should be fairly easy

thanks mark

Edited by mos

Daz_C

I used the inner part off a Gti6 shaft but other than that I can't help.

He won't need to take the box off to change the diff. He can do it with the box left on the car. Just need to undo the bottom mount and wedge the bottom of the engine over so as to give room to remove and replace the diff. I did this a few weeks back and although had a few problems and had to take it out a few times in the end I manged to remove and replace it in about half an hour.

Miles

The O/S shaft should fit as that side is the same across the range of 205, 306 etc, But I'll bet you a tenner the 205 Diff will fit

Sign in to follow this