• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Mike Walker

Testing For Fuel?

Mike Walker

I keep reading threads that say you need to test for fuel going in when you crank the car over as well as getting a spark for starting problems. How do you find out if you're getting fuel in??

Sorry if its a daft question :lol:

welshpug

take the supply pipe off and point it into a jar, get a helper to crank it.

welshpug

on second thoughts, simply turning the ignition on will suffice as the system usually primes itself briefly, but then cranking would be a good idea to confirm.

Ryan

I do it by taking the spark plugs out and cranking the engine. If there's fuel getting in then you can see/smell the vapour it coming out of the plug holes. That way you know that both the pump and injectors are working.

Edited by Ryan

Mike Walker

Cool, I think i'll try taking the supply pipe off as I wouldn't be able to smell petrol if it was being injected into my nostrils (got man flu :lol: )

C_W

Like what Ryan was saying, if you removed the sparkplugs and lay something over the sparkplugs holes (strip or card or something) then you'll see the damp patches if each cylinder is getting fuel.

steve@cornwall

I undo the 4 bolts and remove the fuel rail complete with injectors,positioning the injectors just away from the holes they came out of- and crank. You can then see if the injectors are spraying, too. If not, crack the fuel supply as above.

If the car isn't starting due to overfuelling, it will start like this and you'll need to quickly turn off as the revs go into orbit.

boombang
on second thoughts, simply turning the ignition on will suffice as the system usually primes itself briefly, but then cranking would be a good idea to confirm.

Cranking will also confirm that the starter position switch is working properly.

My plugs were wet yet car would not start - the above wire had severed and basically when you let the key go back to ignition position the fuel supply started as the engine was still turning over. as just enough to damped the plugs - pain in the arse to find that one.

28CRAIG

It is always best to take the rail of and fire the injectors in the air that way you can see if the injectors are firing correctly and enough fuel is coming thrue the system.

I had this problem with a blocked filter there was fuel coming thrue but not enough pressure to start the car

Mike Walker

Cool cheers for the replies, feeling too s*ite to do it today but i'll give it a bash tomorrow. I'm crossing my fingers that i'm not getting fuel as it'll narrow things down :)

Mike Walker

Did this today and get feck all coming out of the injectors. I know the pumps working as i've bypassed the tachymetric relay to switched live so can hear it constantly priming once the ignition is switched.

As far as I can work out this narrows the problem down to the wire between the dizzy and ignition module and the associated multiplug thingy half way down?

I'll take this wire off and bring it indoors to have a good gander, are new ones available or do I need to repair myself?

Ahl

I think that wire will only decide if theres a spark or not, and shouldn't have any bearing on the injectors.

When you bypassed the tachymetric relay, did you put the injectors onto a switched live too?

28CRAIG

Where have you been getting petrol from i was using tesco but had two filters block up in a month dropping the pressure at the rail. You may as well change the filter for the sake of £20

Mike Walker
I think that wire will only decide if theres a spark or not, and shouldn't have any bearing on the injectors.

When you bypassed the tachymetric relay, did you put the injectors onto a switched live too?

Didn't do that as i'm not sure how but i'll do the obligatory search and give it a go :P

I'm definately getting fuel all the way to the rail on cranking so its obviously just a case of the injectors not getting the signal to fire.

I reckon I must have had some kind of massive electrical failure for a number of things to go at once, I do remember the black wire from the positive side of the coil having come off at some point and shortly after the car started to have its problems.

Mike Walker
Where have you been getting petrol from i was using tesco but had two filters block up in a month dropping the pressure at the rail. You may as well change the filter for the sake of £20

Tesco has been my garage of choice (love the 99 ron!), the one I use has been proven to be one of the ones with contaminated fuel but the cars been off the road since just before all this happened.

Mike Walker

Ok, I can't find out how to connect the injectors to switched live and from poking my head under the bonnet I han't a clue so does anyone know?

Cheers :P

Sign in to follow this