• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Pug_101

Sad, Does It Seal?

Pug_101

I think the SAD is faulty on my car, so I've got a replacement and have been checking it out with a power supply. The disc closes Ok so everything seems good, but i thought I would try blowing through it and air still comes out of the other end with little resistance (No light can be seen through the disc).

So is this right or should the closed SAD be air tight?

I take it these units are sealed and cannot be repaired.

Cheers

Ryan

They don't seal air tight, but blowing throught it you should be able to tell the difference between open and closed.

Pug_101
They don't seal air tight, but blowing throught it you should be able to tell the difference between open and closed.

Cheers mate, worth fitting it then.

jim21070

A good one will seal to the extent that you'll have a heck of a job to blow through it. Just applying 12V to the heating coil is not enough to fully close it. They also need to be hot from coolant heat to close fully, hence why they are mounted on a hot block with coolant flowing through. The electrical part of a SAD is only there to assist in heating, the coolant temperature does the rest. If that were not the case, the SAD would close too early in cold weather.

lagonda

Just been adjusting the SAD on my car. Yes you can blow through it with it closed electrically off the car, but there is some resistance. It is only one thin metal plate sliding over another, without any pressure forcing the two together, so a 100% seal is not going to happen, or presumably intended.

Assuming tuning work is done with the engine fully up to temp, the slight air bleed involved will be automatically accounted for whilst mixture etc is being set.

Pug_101

Fitted the new one last night and car needed adjustment to the idle so seems to be doing a better job than the last one, As I have a K&N setup I am using a little K&N type filter directly on the SAD. With the old SAD this was hissing at all times, this noise seems to have now gone so guess SAD is sealing.

Cheers

Gibbo GTI

Where abouts did you buy the SAD from?

Pug_101
Where abouts did you buy the SAD from?

eBay, but it was not new if that's what your thinking.

Cheers

Gibbo GTI

Ok, cheers. Have tried the used SAD from ebay before. Worked for a couple of months and then packed up, time for a new shiny one from somewhere.

jim21070

Pug Dealer. It'll cost you plenty but at least it'll be new, good, genuine and last 15 years..

lagonda

There are Bosch fuel injection shops around, might be worth seeing if they're more reasonable than Peugeot. It is a Bosch part, so Peugeot will only buy it from Bosch & add their whack.

Rob_the_Sparky
If that were not the case, the SAD would close too early in cold weather.

My experience is that they do shut too early in cold weather...

Sign in to follow this