• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
ultimatepug

1600 Gti Not Firing

ultimatepug

right....

recently bought a 1600 as it was offered to me cheap.

tried to get it running this weekend. new battery new fuel etc... (been garaged and not moved or started in over a year)

i turns over, but wont fire. theres a spark from all plugs, fuels getting upto the injecters.

initially it didnt have a lot of oil in, so filled it up. towed it down the street in second to try and circulate it, nasty sounds coming from what i believe is the bottom end.. still wont fire. the only thing ive not tried is a compression test, before we towed it it seemed to be turrning over quickly, then seemed to cure itself once towed, but still wouldnt fire.

any ideas?

im guessing bottom ends knackered but my mates not so sure....

adam

Anthony

For it not to fire at all the bottom end would have to be completely shagged frankly - I've got engines started on two cylinders before now. Compression test will reveal all - the engine will still start on sub 100psi compression though.

• Check that the fuel pump is running and that the injectors aren't just injecting what little fuel remains in the fuel rail.
  • Check that you've got a good strong spark - if it's weak then check for damp in the dizzy cap etc.
  • Check that the AFM is connected and securely attached to the inlet pipes, and that the ECU temp sensor blue plug is connected (if it isn't then it'll usually flood before it starts)
  • Compression test should show you if the cam timing is badly out.
  • Check the HT leads are on in the correct order.
  • If it still won't start, try unplugging the injectors are trying again - if it's flooded itself then it'll fire and run for a second.

Is it even trying to fire, or just cranking over with no life at all?

205turbo

have you connected the lead that earths the ecu back up, is a green wire that bolts to the gearbox,

Craig and me swopped a engine at xmas in his 1.6 and it was missed off and had the same problem, fire straight up after it was connected

ultimatepug

anthony, fuel pumps runnig fine and priming, removed the 17mm nut on the fuel rail and theres plenty of fuel getting to the injecters. afm is all connected properly, where abouts will i find the blue temp senser? will check the running order on the plugs is ok, but i cant see them being tampered with, will also try unplugging the injecters.

as for the earth wire ive not had the box out, but i'll check its connected just in case.

ive had an ignition module causing a bad earth before, but still getting s good spark? maybe this could be something to do with it?

like you said though anthony, even if the compressions kaput it should still fire!

adam

28CRAIG
anthony, fuel pumps runnig fine and priming, removed the 17mm nut on the fuel rail and theres plenty of fuel getting to the injecters. afm is all connected properly, where abouts will i find the blue temp senser? will check the running order on the plugs is ok, but i cant see them being tampered with, will also try unplugging the injecters.

as for the earth wire ive not had the box out, but i'll check its connected just in case.

ive had an ignition module causing a bad earth before, but still getting s good spark? maybe this could be something to do with it?

like you said though anthony, even if the compressions kaput it should still fire!

adam

Also try changing the fuel filter they can stop it starting due to lack of fuel at the rail or take the rail off and spray the injectors into the air if it's a lack of fuel you should notice.

pug_ham
where abouts will i find the blue temp senser?
What year is the car?

If its pre 91 you will most likely have the seperate coolant temp sensor housing thats underneath the dizzy. (see picture below)

There is a short 90' hose comes out of the side of the thermostat housing which joins to it, the sensor will be on the side of this. On the last run of 205's it is in the back of the thermostat housing near the guage temp sender.

Graham.

post-71-1173910739_thumb.jpg

Sign in to follow this