• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
david932

Best Coilovers And Spring Rates To Go For

david932

opinions please of what good/bad, will be mainly for track use but will be used on the road

taylorspug

If you are using the car on road and track, and will be using proper road tyres (ie not stuff like Dunlop DO1Js) when you are on track, then id say go for no more than approx 200lb front springs, any stiffer and it will be a 'mare on the road, and have less grip on track than say a 180lb spring IMO.

For coilovers Gaz are cheap and reasonable, stuff like Spax is to generally be avoided, good middle of the road sets come from Bilstein, Leda (if they are still in business) or AST. And stuff like Proflex is big money and a bit OTT for a cheap trackday car!

Edited by taylorspug

Miles

Thats a very good question, If you can get out and try some differently set up 205's, everyone like's a car set up differently so what suit's me you could well hate,

But as taylorspug's said, Bilstein, AST are all good starting point's, Also for anything more than road tyres you'll need more negitive camber, Caster adjustment to get the most of them

TVH
If you are using the car on road and track, and will be using proper road tyres (ie not stuff like Dunlop DO1Js) when you are on track, then id say go for no more than approx 200lb front springs, any stiffer and it will be a 'mare on the road, and have less grip on track than say a 180lb spring IMO.

For coilovers Gaz are cheap and reasonable, stuff like Spax is to generally be avoided, good middle of the road sets come from Bilstein, Leda (if they are still in business) or AST. And stuff like Proflex is big money and a bit OTT for a cheap trackday car!

My GAZ competition kit inlcuded 325lb front springs...that's quite stiff I think. Also I have 23mm rear torsion bars and 24mm rear arb, that's about twice as stiff as oem stuff so the balance should still be towards oversteer but less body roll than oem. I've driven only 100km on public roads with the car so I really can't say how it handles...need to wait until all the snow is gone and circuits are opened again :ph34r:

Sign in to follow this