• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Richie-Van-GTi

Compression Ratios

Richie-Van-GTi

Can someone explain in laymans terms how these are calculated please. I feel its something I should know but dont :)

Id be interested in working my own spec out (see sig) but it would be more useful when reading posts TBH. :D

welshpug

compression ratio is the difference between total cylinder capacity when at BDC and TDC (bottom and Top dead centre)

petrol engiones being spark ignition dont need that high a compression ratio, Diesel on the other hand is a compression ignition hence the higher figures involved (boost and Compression)

welshpug

so going on that theory a 1905 Mi16 running 10.4-1 has a total difference of 1905cc to 183 ish cc.

petert
so going on that theory a 1905 Mi16 running 10.4-1 has a total difference of 1905cc to 183 ish cc.

Not quite. The formula is CR=(Vs+Vc)/Vc

eg. for an Mi16

Vs = 1905/4 = 427cc (swept volume of one cylinder)

Vc = 45.4cc (volume in chamber, head gasket etc.)

CR = (427+45.4)/45.4 = 10.4

Richie-Van-GTi

haha, now I understand, always read it as 11 to 1 in a ratio kind of way when infact it is 11 point 1 like a decimal number. Makes much more sense. So assuming I find out the swept volume of my bottom end and the approximate clearnance volume of the 1.9 head plus a fraction for the bit in the top of the cylinder that isnt swept then I could find out a fairly accurate CR for the engine :)

thanks to all that replied, Ive learnt something new :D

Normski
haha, now I understand, always read it as 11 to 1 in a ratio kind of way when infact it is 11 point 1 like a decimal number. Makes much more sense.

No, it is a ratio (compression ratio). The example above of the Mi16, it has a compression ratio of 10.4 to 1 (10.4:1).

Faz85
Not quite. The formula is CR=(Vs+Vc)/Vc

eg. for an Mi16

Vs = 1905/4 = 427cc (swept volume of one cylinder)

Vc = 45.4cc (volume in chamber, head gasket etc.)

CR = (427+45.4)/45.4 = 10.4

Your maths is slightly wrong there peter, 1905/4= 476.25cc

and the Clearance Volume, Vc for the Mi is actually 50.7cc

That gives you CR=(476.25+50.7)/50.7 = 10.4

So assuming I find out the swept volume of my bottom end and the approximate clearnance volume of the 1.9 head plus a fraction for the bit in the top of the cylinder that isnt swept then I could find out a fairly accurate CR for the engine

Yep, and the exact clearance volume for the 1.9 head (assuming its an 8v) is 55.38cc

I dont know what the swept volume is for the 2.0 bottom end you have, but if you get it from the joke book you can bung it in the above equation along with the clearance volume i've just calculated for you, and get the EXACT CR for your engine :D

Faz

Edited by Faz85

petert
Your maths is slightly wrong there peter, 1905/4= 476.25cc

You're right! It's amazing how much clearer things are in the morning. Deamon drink.

Richie-Van-GTi

Thanks for that Faz, I work it out to be 498.5 swept volume and using 56 for the Vc I get a CR of 9.9.1.

Sign in to follow this