• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Craigb

Fitting The Poly Carb Into The Tailgate

Craigb

Has anyone tried bonding a polycarb rear screen into a tailgate rather than drilling and fastening with screws

What are the options ?

Edited by Craigb

WildCards

Can you rivet it in with some sealant around the edges to keep it water tight?

smckeown

On my old mi16 I had small bolts and sealant. I haven't even noticed on the white one, I assume just small bolts. the car hasn't been with me long enough to notice..aargh

I can't imagine just bonding will work as there is a lot of flex

Martin W
On my old mi16 I had small bolts and sealant. I haven't even noticed on the white one, I assume just small bolts. the car hasn't been with me long enough to notice..aargh

I can't imagine just bonding will work as there is a lot of flex

Sean - your rear poly window is attached with small bolts. Looks better that way that with rivets. I heard that it is hard to bond a poly screen properly without risk of it falling out.

boombang

I'm going to be trying a standard Pug seal on mine - 4mm polycarb doesn't flex all that much so it will only be a matter whether it fits with the increased thickness. Then the bonding will be on a flexible rubber rather than the polycarb itself.

The seals are only a tenner from Peugeot (nice suprised when I asked for a price on that one!).

Martin W
I'm going to be trying a standard Pug seal on mine - 4mm polycarb doesn't flex all that much so it will only be a matter whether it fits with the increased thickness. Then the bonding will be on a flexible rubber rather than the polycarb itself.

The seals are only a tenner from Peugeot (nice suprised when I asked for a price on that one!).

Let us know how you get on because if that works, then I will do it the same way (one day!)

Paintguy

I wouldn't imagine bonding on it's own would be enough, due to the flex of the poly, and reduced adhesion to it, but I could be wrong.

309PUG has used some countersunk screws to fix in his rear ¼ windows. They are flush with the poly, and look great!

Rippthrough

Use epoxy, that'll bond the bugger!

Paintguy
Use epoxy, that'll bond the bugger!

Now don't start talking silly. You know there's not enough flexibility with epoxy ;)

Or are you thinking of stiffening up the chassis by solidly bonding all the windows, just like modern cars? :(

Yes, I've been at the red wine again...

Alastairh

Ren on here will be able to shed some light (hes a Rac window man)

He did paul (205turbos) and it looks VERY factory, with just sealant.

Alastair

Ren

I did indeed.

Basically I cleaned both surfaces up and then used the standard primers and bond used for fitting screens, then once fitted put a couple of layers of masking tape around to hold it in place while it dried, we then had to balance the tailgate open horizontaly using a broom and put weights in the corners to help it bend to the right shape.

Boombang, I wouldn't bother with the trim as it is only used for cosmetic purposes and the bond should be on the glass/polycarb not the trim. If you bonded it onto the trim the window would fly out as soon as you opened a window due to the wind pressure entering the car.

If anyone needs any more pointers pm me.

Ren.

Edited by Ren

chownr

Craig

When Darren originally fitted mine it was simply bonded in with a decent adhesive/mastic. Was fine for the foirst event (twyford) but when I checked it afterwards it had broken the seal in several places. I have since taken it out rebonded it and added some self tappers to keep it in place (Tip - if you drill through the poly oversize you dont overstress it and crack it!!)

Been fine ever since

Rich

205turbo

Ren did a top job on mine and it feel as strong as glass now, if you tap it doe's have the same rattle you get with the other windows in the car,

Cheers Ren top job !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by 205turbo

Sign in to follow this