• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Andrwn8304

Which Gearbox

Andrwn8304

Can anyone tell me which Cars have a BE3 gearbox in

1.6 Gti's have I've been told the early 405's (Pre 93) have.

Any suggestions?

brianthemagical

loads of cars did. what do you want/to know?

Andrwn8304

After the problems I've had with mine I've decided on changing the gearbox and was curious to which cars to go look for a decent gearbox out of that would slot straight in to a 1.6 - G reg 205 Gti

brianthemagical

the gear ratios will be differnt on most other cars. lateish 205's with xu engines will have them, zx, maybe bx, early 405's, early 306's, 309's. i think that xu and them xv, xy engined cars had them, not all cars as tu's don't. make sure it's got 5th in the right place.

Andrwn8304

Great thx

So in short if I check a late 205 and the Reverse is Opposite 5th the ratio's should be the same?

Would a 1.9 gearbox slot straight in as long as the engine code is XU9 on those and mine is XU5

I'm not spec'd up on gearboxes as you can probably tell

Edited by Andrwn8304

PsychoSimon

the ratios in a 1.6 box are unique to the 1.6 box. They are quite short (IE high revs for low speeds) to compensate for the lesser amount of torque the 1.6 engine gives.

Loads of boxes wil fit, but won't drive as nice as the 1.6 and will make the car feel flat. Your best off looking for a 1.6 box, or a 1.9 one with your final drive in to get the right ratios

Andrwn8304

Thx again think i'll do like you said and look for the 1.6 box to be on the safe side.

On another would the small Mounting that bolts to the front sub frame effect the gear selection on 1st and 2nd gears if the bussh wasnt attached to the metal sleeve ie allowing the enginge to tilt and altering the selectors on those gears or would it effect all them?

brianthemagical
So in short if I check a late 205 and the Reverse is Opposite 5th the ratio's should be the same?

no, it just means they could be be3 rather than be1. ma 'boxs have the same layout on the lever and they won't fit.

Would a 1.9 gearbox slot straight in as long as the engine code is XU9 on those and mine is XU5

the engine in a 1.9 gti is an xu9 but there are lots of other xu9's. any be3 box will fit straight on your engine but be wary of the ratios.

On another would the small Mounting that bolts to the front sub frame effect the gear selection on 1st and 2nd gears if the bussh wasnt attached to the metal sleeve ie allowing the enginge to tilt and altering the selectors on those gears or would it effect all them?

it could have an effect. i take it your 'box is having trouble shifting between/into 1st and 2nd. probably best to find out the fault first as linkages/pivots are easier and cheaper to find than 'box's.

Edited by brianthemagical

Andrwn8304

I had the box reconditioned before xmas 3rd and 4th hub went, was ok for a few weeks then it started being a pain when it was cold soon as it warmed up it got easier to get 2nd. If your stationary it will select both gears with total ease no notching or anything took it back a few times and left it overnight bloke says its selecting ok for him but if push the gearstick hard to the left it seems to select a bit easier when its cold I thought if the mounting was gone that could effect or the adjustment on the selector rods might need a little adjusting.

Redtop

I had a be3 box 1.9 gti that had problems going from 2nd -1st. Was the synchro that had gone. It cost £118!! If you already have the box out then you might as well strip it and see if you can find the fault. Sure if it's something simple then get it fixed and that saves you the hassle of looking for another box with the correct ratios. At least you know what condition you box is in [ had 3-4th synchro replaced]. Another second hand one could do the same a few months down the line. Could be a lot less hassel and sure if you don't build it up again and get another box it's not that big a loss?

Miles

As you;ve said it's worth looking at the ball thats mounted onto the subframe, these have a habbit of working loose and making the gears a guessing game, also the arm that snaps over this should have a 'R' clip to stop it falling off, The 'L' bolt can normally be tighend up abit too, but not too much or it will lock up

brianthemagical

check the oil level in the 'box and that it is the correct type if poss. if the syncros are going then you'll just have to try and slam the gears in harder and faster, like a non-syncro box, it'll be like a racing car. then something'll probs break.

pug_ham

A G reg 205 GTi might not have a Be3 gearbox (Cliftons doesn't, yet :(), there are a few H reg cars that still have the Be1 gearbox fitted but these are pretty rare (I've seen one).

What gearbox is currently fitted to your car, Be1 or Be3? You'll be best to get a decent box from a reputable rebuilder (Miles) or the lowest mileage 1.6 GTi you can find with a Be3 fitted imo.

Graham.

KRISKARRERA
1.6 Gti's have I've been told the early 405's (Pre 93) have.
Anything with a BE gearbox from about '90 onwards will be BE3.

Andrwn8304
A G reg 205 GTi might not have a Be3 gearbox (Cliftons doesn't, yet :(), there are a few H reg cars that still have the Be1 gearbox fitted but these are pretty rare (I've seen one).

What gearbox is currently fitted to your car, Be1 or Be3? You'll be best to get a decent box from a reputable rebuilder (Miles) or the lowest mileage 1.6 GTi you can find with a Be3 fitted imo.

Graham.

I've been told its a BE3 due reverse being oppposite 5th gear.

Andrwn8304
check the oil level in the 'box and that it is the correct type if poss. if the syncros are going then you'll just have to try and slam the gears in harder and faster, like a non-syncro box, it'll be like a racing car. then something'll probs break.

Changed the oil last week Hypoid EP75/80 after reading the forum and Haynes, I dropped 3ltrs out and put 1.8 ltrs back in.

1st and 2nd was ok till I had the 3rd and 4th hub done strange thing is it only does it when the engine is cold.

Went this morning and it selected the gears fine no notching or anything which as Miles seems to agree it could be the small rear mounting bush which should be here today hopefully from Autofive.

I was gonna try a different box to see if that cures the probif it does Miles will be getting contact to sort this box out :D:(:(

Andrwn8304

An update on this pain.

Replaced the small rear mounting still no difference, checked the small ball joints attached to the selectors (seems to be ok not loose).

I've been offered another gearbox for £130 from 1.6GTi - H reg apparently only has about 40,000miles on it........... Any suggestions?

Sign in to follow this