• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
GLPoomobile

Solar Panel Trickle Chargers

GLPoomobile

I was thinking of getting one of these

solar charger

and fitting it in my car. Since I don't drive it much, the battery goes flat if I leave it for more than 2 weeks without a drive.

Just wondered if they are much cop, or a waste of time?

And the car is on the street, so no access to mains power before anyone mentions using a a battery conditioner or something like that.

WildCards

Spose so. Stick it on the dash and leave it. Seem cheap enough, give it a go.

Robsbc
Spose so. Stick it on the dash and leave it. Seem cheap enough, give it a go.

Tried one as was having same sort of problem as you...Didn't help, only cure was to buy a new house with garage and use a trickle charger.

brianthemagical

would a new battery not help? my car was unused for about 3 weeks and started first time.

GLPoomobile
Tried one as was having same sort of problem as you...Didn't help, only cure was to buy a new house with garage and use a trickle charger.

OK, I'll have another look through the Machine Mart catalogue and see if they have any houses for sale. Hope they are not more than about £40 though.

Cheers :)

fencer

sounds some good advice :D

tom_m

the 18watt one might be effective, but the 2watt one won't do sh*t

Rob_the_Sparky
would a new battery not help? my car was unused for about 3 weeks and started first time.

Not great idea, if it goes flat then battery life is significantly reduced so best to take the neg lead off and/or remove teh battery and charge if on a regular basis. Re-fit battery when needed...

GLPoomobile

So with all things considered then, I guess I just need to go for a good drive once a week.

I won't be taking the neg lead off as I prefer to have the alarm working, even if it is the smallest of deterents!

brianthemagical

it turns out that it takes 4 weeks for my battery to go flat.

richard

the 2 watts one wont do anything mate.

I have one and its a load of old tosh if you leave anything on. your alarm for example will probably suck most of that away on its own. Combined with earth leaks etc...

Get the 18w one. That should at least provide some current for the battery.

I'll be getting one at some point in the near future.

GLPoomobile

Just don't think I can justify the cost of the 18w one!

tom_m
Just don't think I can justify the cost of the 18w one!

depends how often you have to replace your battery i guess, three or four batteries would = the cost of that (ish) i think

Edited by tom_m

sorr

I would just stick on a bigger battery. My standard battery would drain after 2 weeks, stuck on one from a Clio diesel and it managed to start with no issue after being left for over 3 weeks.

GLPoomobile

Incidentally, I was trawling the FCCUK forum last night and one of the guys on there had commented that he had a £35 solar charger on his boat and it would be fine after being left for months. Having said that, he probably doesn't have an alarm draining his boat battery!

I've asked him what it is and where he got it anyway.

gizzmo

got one to charges battery to run lights in me garage as i have no permanent supply. works ok. havent riged it up to to charge the car battery though, but can,t see any problem but setting the panel to the right orientation can be a bit of a problem as it has to be mounted at around 70deg and facing the arc of the sun for best results,

richard

Another consideration is the tinting of the windows. This will knock down the amount of current being produced. So that 2w panel may only give you 1w in bright sunlight!

tom_m
I would just stick on a bigger battery. My standard battery would drain after 2 weeks, stuck on one from a Clio diesel and it managed to start with no issue after being left for over 3 weeks.

thats a good point actually, my battery is a diesel spec, its been left for at least three weeks and still fired first time ;)

Sign in to follow this