• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
pa402

Think Its Time For New Headlights?

pa402

Does anyone know the cheapest place to get a set of new headlights for a 205. Mine are very dull compared to my other car, even though I tried it with the same headlight bulbs. Is this likely to the headlight reflectors or could it be the wiring? (i'm not very electrically minded!)

Also, I think one of the headlight adjusters may have broke as the driver's side light points down at the ground, and doesn't want to adjust - do these come with a new headlight or would I need to buy the surround aswell?

Any help appreciated

Paul

Anthony

Could be poor wiring or dirty/corroded reflectors - looking into the headlight should give you a clue as the reflectors should look shiny.

The adjuster arm that's connected to the light has probably just popped off the adjuster mechanism that's attached to the car - partly remove the headlight and you'll see it. Just pops back on.

taylorspug

If you do get new headlights, go for Original Equipment, most of the 'copies' have very poor reflectors and generally make the front end of the car look dull and old, even with the lights off.

MikeHunt79

When you say "Mine are very dull" do you mean the light is off colour, like a more yellow than other lights? If so, yer bulbs aren't getting enough voltage!

Simple fix, get a 15a fuse, a relay and some thickish wire, and run a direct feed off the battery to the lights... using the old feed as a switch. Don't replace yer headlights, as you can still get a dull yellowy light out of a brand new headlight, if the wiring is not good.

However, if the light isn't being "thrown" too well into the road, and the beam pattern is bad, then this is probably the reflectors, and I guess they could be cleaned, but it would probably be better to get some new headlights.

The more volts a bulb gets, the more white and brighter it gets, until the filament overheats and the bulb blows. I run some 12v bulbs at 18v - they are bright as hell, but will probably not run much longer than 50 hours or so... this isn't on my car tho. :D

Edited by MikeHunt79

pa402

I'd say its a bit of both. I'll try running a direct feed to the lights to see if I get any improvement. If not ill be looking for new headlights.

Where could I find Original Equipment ones?

Thanks

Paul

Ahl

I've found the late lucas one (all silvered) to be just as good as the OE Valeo ones.

taylorspug
Where could I find Original Equipment ones?

Thanks

Paul

Neat Autos

Last set I got were from here, i think they do OE and non OE, confirm with them before buying. :)

And yes as long as they are all bright silvered, all the different makes are pretty much as good as each other. Trouble is some of the non OE items get a very dull silver reflector, and it looks gash.

Edited by taylorspug

Paintguy

Another vote for Valeo ones:

Rebuild_40.thumb.jpg

Sign in to follow this