• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Casanova

No Second Gear On Rebuilt Xs

Casanova

Hi there

Apologies for my first post on this site being a technical question. I have had a couple of searches but I can't find a situation quite like mine.

I have a 1989 205 XS that I bought as a non-runner and fitted a rebuilt engine to (using the original gearbox). The car has done 110k. After the rebuild the linkage was hugely sloppy and only 1st, 3rd, 5th and reverse could be selected. That was solved by replacing the pivot bolt on the linkage bracket that bolts into the subframe and now it's sufficiently tight to drive normally (tight for a 205 that is!).

However, when you select 2nd gear and release the clutch, the engine just revs freely. There are no unfamiliar noises. With the clutch depressed, you can slot the gearstick more firmly into second and it grinds. I suspect something within the gearbox is amiss, but am not certain enough to go and change the box just yet.

Any thoughts or guidance? If I do replace the box, is there a page of final drive ratios for different MA boxes I could consult?

Cheers

§

macaroni

Hello and welcome.

If you are happy that you have selected 2nd I guess it is internal.

Can you move the selector lever on the gearbox successfully and try then?

Replacing the box is an easy job and there should be a page of ratios somewhere, either here or on the net.

The xs box has lowest ratios of any TU car, so stick with that for best acceleration.

Antony

stu_woac

sound like the plastic clips on the end of the selector rods have completely gone on secound gear you could just get a rebuild on the box, or try and try and find a good xs box as they are very very rare now, so look for a 1.3 106 rallye box or a vtr box maybe, I ran a saxo box for a while with no problems

Miles

The later MA boxes use the later type selector (as the BE's) and which Stu's got in his, If the clips break it normally makes the shift somewhat vague

Jrod

Is the 106 1.3 rallye box much longer ratios?

trogboy
Is the 106 1.3 rallye box much longer ratios?

No. AFAIK it is actually the shortest of all of the MA boxes not all that much shorter than the XS box though.

Casanova

So it looks like I need a new box then :)

I have been looking around for a page of MA transmissions, & which were fitted to which PSA cars. The best I have found is this: http://pages.zoom.co.uk/rossd/engines.htm

I know the box in mine is also in other TU3S cars, but I'm not doing very well so far looking for a replacement. Is a VTR box quite close to mine? How much should I pay?

Miles, is having a later-type selector better or worse - how do they differ? What year was the changeover?

§

Edited by Casanova

Casanova

OK, I found another possibly useful page on gear ratios:

http://www.saxperience.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5148

yeah any post 92 box will fit any tu engine the gears are all different but keep ur vtr box as it is much shorter cut resulting is some wicked accel times,only draw back is that u will use abit of fuel crusing at 110mph but drop it to 80-90mph and it should be cool,thats only on long journeys. hear are a list of the gear ratios i found

954 cc and 1124 cc

1st===3.417:1

2nd===1.180:1

3rd===1.276:1

4th===1.026:1

5th===0.767:1

rev===2.500:1

final drive===4.286:1

1360 cc

1st===3.636:1

2nd===1.950:1

final drive===3.765:1

1587 cc (vtr)

2nd===1.810:1

final drive===3.765:1

1587 cc (vts)

2nd===1.950:1

3rd===1.360:1

4th===1.050:1

5th===0.850:1

final drive===3.938:1

Aside from my suspicions over the reliability of that information, I think the ratio for 2nd in the 954/1124 box might be a typo. Looks like it should be 1.810. Am a bit puzzled as to what all these figures mean too... ;)

§

Edited by Casanova

Casanova

And another page, feel like I'm getting somewhere now. I found this:

http://www.suzukituning.com/PSA/MA5%20Gear...a5gearratio.htm

This page gives the following table of ratios:

Gear%20Ratios.JPG

Now to work out what mine is, and source/build a close-ish replacement. I perhaps wouldn't mind a longer 5th for motorways...

§

Casanova

I got the urge, so I went out to see what the code on my box is. Its a 2CA18, which handily isn't in the above table. Until I get it to bits then, I'll assume its the same ratios as a 2CA08 which is what the first link says a TU3S used. ;) Think I fancy re-building a box, so I shall gather bits and do it when I get some time (summer probably...)

§

Sign in to follow this