• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
rallyman

Welding!

rallyman

:)

OK, Im doing up my 205 for some abuse in motorsport, I have the rear beam off to sort it at the moment, and have discovered that due to the state of the rear beam mounts (totally knakKered) that they have started to wear into the "U" section of the body where the mount bolt onto.

I am re-enforcing/repairing this "U" section, with 1mm plate, will this affect the operation of the rear beam/handling ? , as the rear of the beam will be pushed lower. Has anyone welded here?

Many Thanks

Michael

inferno

why not repair both sides?

Baz

You mean so it's even Tom? that's what Michael would do and means i would've thought. :)

rallyman

:)

The front (2x bolts each side) are ok, the rears have looked much better, It is probably where the mounts have been shifting around too much and wearing the chassis. :(

I spose I could add a strengthening plate there, but they look pretty sweet and I didnt want to mess with them as well as altering the ride height B) but then again, could do with more ground clearance for rallying.

rallyman

Oh, yes I would be doing both sides! Spose that wouldnt be to good for handling!

boombang

1mm of extra metal there would realistically be un-noticeable.

My shell has welding here, most probably as a result of wear from old mounts like you have found.

I am only down in Brentwood if you want to come have look see at my shell and get some ideas.

rallyman

Mmmm Many Thanks, might take you up on that.

So you didnt notice any difference in the handling then?

boombang

I've no idea as it is still on axle stands waiting to be painted!

Bearing in mind that the extra weight from carrying a passenger might well drop the car 20-30mm you are never going to notice the difference.

Also bearing in mind you can reset the torsion bars to within a couple of mm, I really think you are worrying too much about it!

Sign in to follow this