• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
ashley peddle

Harness Location Points

ashley peddle

Hi Guys

need to mount my new 6 point this week :wub:

below is a pic where i think i should put the eye bolts... but im not sure if its right or not :wub:

its the only pic i have of the interior without seats in... obviously it would be on the drivers side ;)

all opinions welcome :wub:

harnesslocationsrj9.th.jpg

boombang

Avoid putting anything like eye bolts in the floor or panels likely to receive impact. The 205 floor is thin and brittle anyhow, so it can split and the plate welded on can tear off. As the floor is one of the most likely places to get hit,. probably not the best place. (the crotch straps take very little stress compared to others so not such a worry, although I have seen them attached to mountings on seat bars before!)

The rear eyebolts, usually a cheat is to use one of the standard seatbelt holes (is right behind one of the holes in the seat) and then weld another directly behind the other hole in the seat.

My sill side eyelets for lap belt go into box section which supports the B post for the cage - yours is different and you can cheat again and use the standard eyelet.

My inner side straps go back to behind the handbrake cable holes, in a plated panel where in your picture is the underseal type stuff.

Crotch straps are basically where yours are.

Edited by boombang

ashley peddle

i was under the impression that the waist straps had to be mounted at the exact same place on both sides though (if that makes sence?) so as to put the same amount of pressure on each side?

boombang

Clicky thumbnail for how mine are:

th_navmounts.jpg

I do not think you'd want it pulling against the seat which is how it would be if mounts were behind you.

Don't think there is an issue with them not being in opposing positions, but understand what you mean.

Mr_E

My setup is very similar to Boombangs. I use the original bolt holes on the sills for the outer waist straps, drill 2 holes where the underseal is behind the handbrake cables and use mounting plates for the inner waist straps. At the rear i use the original bolt holes for the inner shoulder straps and drill 2 new holes toward the outside of the car and again use mounting plates (these usually end up just behind the rear beam trailing arms ) for the outer shoulder straps. For the crutch straps, i usually weld 2 mounting plates and eyebolts to my rearward seat bar and have the crutch strap go to there.

I would never go through the floor with any seatbelt mounting points.

I would take pics but I havnt got that far with this new build yet!

Turbo7379

Here's a link to the FIA PDF file with the regs on harness mounting .

http://www.fia.com/resources/documents/994...ppJ_Art_253.pdf

When you're welding in the plates for the eye bolts make sure the nut is on the opposite side of the plate to the bolt . Alternatively you need to seam weld the nut to the plate .

The shoulder straps should be mounted as high as possible , ideally within a 25 degree angle from shoulder level ( see pdf for a better explanation ) . Ideally they should attach to a cross bar on the cage but looking at your cage design , that won't be easy . You can do as boombang said & use one of the existing eye holes & weld another plate in beside it . You'll have to take out the petrol tank to do this . Check that the metal is sound around there as it is a common rot spot .

One lap strap can go into the existing seat belt mount on the sill (the one furthest forward ) & weld a plate directly opposite it on the gearbox tunnel for the other lap strap .. Depending on the way you are mounting the seat make sure you have enough clearance for the straps to clip into the eye bolts & sit properly .

As for the crotch straps , it's not a good idea to weld them into the floor pan where you suggest . I heard about a 205 that was in an accident where the driver was nearly castrated . He had welded the plates for the crotch strap into the floor & left the eye bolts sticking below the floor . They got caught & pulled downwards , shortening the straps & leaving the guy singing descant . :(

If you're mounting your seats properly you'll be welding a bar across from the sill to the tunnel for the rearmost seat mounting holes . This bar is a good place to weld you crotch strap mounts to .

Mr_E
You'll have to take out the petrol tank to do this . Check that the metal is sound around there as it is a common rot spot .

Is your fuel tank in a different place to mine then? where the original rear seatbelt bolt holes are is further back and higher up than the fuel tank.

ashley peddle
Here's a link to the FIA PDF file with the regs on harness mounting .

http://www.fia.com/resources/documents/994...ppJ_Art_253.pdf

thanks for that link it was most helpful ;)

from the FIA website....

harness2sh7.jpg

so i think im gona go with using the front seat mounting brace for crotch straps, gearbox tunnle and original seatbelt hole for the side straps and the original rear seatbelt hole (plus one extra hole) for the shoulder straps :P

Trick

Do eyebolt mounting plates need to be welded?

I have the attached:

DSC00714.jpg

Was just going to drill through body and tighten up, and use some panel sealer....

jackherer
Was just going to drill through body and tighten up, and use some panel sealer....

Thats how I fitted them to a friends 205 and after driving fairly hard into the tyre wall at Brands they didn't move...

Jrod

Also how I did it but my plates look a fair bit bigger than the ones above.

philfingers

The reason for NOT bolting to the existing holes for the std rear seat belts is this. In an accident as the body moves forwards it pulls the belts down. So basically the rigidity of the seat is taking the downward force. Imagine someone pushing down hard on your shoulders. By having the rear shoulder starps mounted on the cage bar you avoid this. Which is why all competition cars use this method and why it's recommended by the FIA/ RACMSA etc. You could always get a motorsport preparation company to weld a harness bar in for you. I know of someone having this done to a single diagonal cage and the cost is around 100 pounds. Not excessive really

Baz
The reason for NOT bolting to the existing holes for the std rear seat belts is this. In an accident as the body moves forwards it pulls the belts down. So basically the rigidity of the seat is taking the downward force. Imagine someone pushing down hard on your shoulders. By having the rear shoulder starps mounted on the cage bar you avoid this. Which is why all competition cars use this method and why it's recommended by the FIA/ RACMSA etc. You could always get a motorsport preparation company to weld a harness bar in for you. I know of someone having this done to a single diagonal cage and the cost is around 100 pounds. Not excessive really

My car passed MSA Scrutineering last Sunday with the harnesses bolted to the existing rear seat belt mounts, i'm aware it isn't ideal but the car i used was a last minute effort!!

I understand what you're saying, and yes is ideal using harness bars. It really also depends on how your seat is mounted, if it's mounted low enough then there's no reason you can't use those mounts. Basically as long as it's within 45d of where the belts enter the back of the seat should be fine.

Sign in to follow this